SU sells fewer Texas Bowl tickets compared to Pinstripe Bowl

Ziniu Chen | Staff Photographer

Young fans of the Orange spectate at the Texas Bowl before kickoff. SU sold thousands of tickets to the game against Minnesota.

Fewer tickets were sold to this year’s Texas Bowl game compared to last year’s Pinstripe Bowl.

Syracuse  will face off against Minnesota in Houston on Friday – more than 1,500 miles away from Syracuse. The location of the game may have contributed to the decrease in ticket sales, said Joe Giansante, executive senior associate athletics director, in an email.

Last year, Syracuse University nearly sold out of its 10,000 tickets for the Pinstripe Bowl played in Yankee Stadium in New York City.

“Understandably we have sold fewer this year than for the Pinstripe Bowl, given the location of the game,” he said.

Still, Giansante said SU has sold tickets numbering in the thousands for the Texas Bowl. He added that a few hundred students purchased tickets. The exact number of tickets sold to Orange fans will not be available until after the game, he said.

The university reached out to those who had purchased tickets or ticket packages in the past, Giansante said. Tickets to the game ranged in price from $30 to $115, according to the Texas Bowl website.

The University of Minnesota sold 3,375 tickets for the game, according to a Dec. 26 Star Tribune article. Each team has been allotted 12,000 seats in the Reliant Stadium.

Tickets are also available as part of a Houston Texans season package, according to the article.