Ice Hockey

Drinkwater eases into consistent starting role after Billadeau’s season-ending injury

When Jenesica Drinkwater returned to Syracuse in January to prepare for the second half of the season, she entered practice as the primary goalie for the first time this year.

Her teammate, Kallie Billadeau, suffered a season-ending injury during winter break. A friendly yet fierce competition between both goalies would no longer exist with conference play ahead.

“I mean it’s tough. Injuries are part of the game,” Drinkwater said. “I’m trying to step up and do my part and I think that it’s challenging in practice now that I don’t have somebody to be pushing me.

“I have to really step up and push myself.”

Fortunately for SU, Drinkwater has provided similar production since taking the reins as the starting goalie, and her passion and toughness resembles the effort displayed by Billadeau on a nightly basis.

Drinkwater has anchored the Orange with quality goaltending during the team’s four-game winning streak. She hopes that her level of play will carry over to the team’s upcoming weekend matchups against rival Mercyhurst (15-7-3, 8-3-1 CHA) on Friday and Saturday.

She believes that the key to her first victory, and the first victory against the Lakers in program history, is to continue providing the same effort as she has during the team’s winning streak.

“It’s going to come down to hard work with our team,” she said. “I need to come down with the same focus and stop the shots one at a time.”

Drinkwater is now playing as the lone goalie each game due to the inexperience of backup Julie Bengis. While Billadeau garnered most of the starts during the first half of the year, she would receive the occasional day off during a condensed schedule.

That does not appear to be the case for Drinkwater during the remainder of the regular season. Head coach Paul Flanagan is hopeful that she can play every game down the stretch as his team battles for a spot in the CHA playoffs.

“She’s done a very good job,” Flanagan said. “With Billadeau out, if Drinkwater is healthy, she’ll most likely get the nod.”

Since gaining control as the full-time starter, Drinkwater has responded by improving her play in each passing game. Syracuse has won six of seven games since Jan. 4, the first game that Drinkwater replaced Billadeau in net.
Drinkwater has experience playing in live games during the course of her four-year career, which could help the camaraderie with her teammates down the stretch.

Senior defenseman Caitlin Roach expressed the utmost confidence in Drinkwater’s ability to handle the starting role on a nightly basis.

“I think mentally she is preparing herself well to play the rest of the season,” Roach said.

Flanagan insists Drinkwater’s success is not a surprise considering her experience starting games when Billadeau rested. But he credits her attention to the small details during practice and in the film room as the reason for her recent success.

“Having a senior with that type of experience is important for us,” Flanagan said.

Drinkwater will have two opportunities to secure the first victory of her career against Mercyhurst. Yet it won’t be easy, as the Lakers have scored four or more goals in three of their games since Jan. 10.

She acknowledges the tough task this weekend, but is confident in securing a win as long as she continues matching the intensity that her team has provided this month.

“My team’s working hard in front of me. I have to give them a lot of credit,” Drinkwater said. “They’re really pushing and I’m just trying to back them as best as I can.”