New Syracuse Stadium

Miner announces stadium task force at State of the City Address

Calling the construction of a new Syracuse University stadium a potentially once in a generation decision, Mayor Stephanie Miner on Thursday announced she is forming a taskforce to examine the possible effects of such a project.

“I think we can all agree,” she said, “If this worth doing, it is worth doing right.”

Miner made the announcement during her 2014 State of the City Address, which was held 10 minutes northwest of SU in Tipperary Hill. Among other things, the committee will look at what the community needs, what neighborhood and economic development might look like as well as the condition of the Carrier Dome.

She said she’s been consulting with SU Chancellor Kent Syverud and wants to have a “transparent and inclusive community discussion” about the project. Though she isn’t for or against it, she has said questions about the stadium remain unanswered.

There’s no money included in Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s 2014-15 proposed budget for the $500 million stadium project, which had been proposed at a site close to Syracuse Stage and the Syracuse Center of Excellence.

In an interview after the speech, Miner said why a stadium has been proposed — whether it’s because of the Dome’s condition or the university’s desire for a new facility — is “a material question that needs to be answered and will be answered.”

The stadium proposal has been a “fast moving process,” Miner said. She wasn’t told about it until late December.

On his way out of the speech, U.S. Rep. Dan Maffei (D-Syracuse) said he hadn’t really thought about the announcement. Maffei represents the 24th Congressional District, which includes all of Onondaga County.

Ryan McMahon, chairman of the Onondaga County Legislature, didn’t return a phone call Thursday night about his thoughts on the announcement.

District Councilor Khalid Bey, who chairs the Common Council’s Economic Development, Downtown and Metropolitan Planning Committee, said in an interview after the speech he’s “really optimistic” about what could happen now that a committee will be formed.

“I believe compromise is possible with any situation. I think (Miner’s) demonstrated her ability and willingness to do exactly that, so I’m optimistic and excited — maybe for next year or the year to come — but I think it’ll happen. We just have to do it right,” Bey said.

Members of the taskforce will be announced in the next few days.