Tennis

Freshman Avgerinos builds strong rapport with teammates, transitions into collegiate play

When Maria Avgerinos first came to Syracuse, the adjustment of playing Division I tennis loomed large for the freshman from Elmhurst, Ill.

Head coach Luke Jensen left the team three matches into the season, and the competition, both in and out of conference, has challenged Avgerinos both physically and mentally.

But the chemistry that she has built with her teammates on the court and in the classroom has now led to a smooth transition with the Orange (0-7, 0-2 Atlantic Coast). And with Aleah Marrow out for the season, Avgerinos will be expected to take a bigger role and is primed to do so.

“It’s been really fun. Being on this team with all these girls has been more than I thought it would be,” Avgerinos said. “The camaraderie we’ve built and the atmosphere isn’t something I was really expecting.”

Avgerinos found her place in the locker room by bringing a humorous personality, which is important in such a competitive environment.

Rhiann Newborn, a fellow freshman, has seen Avgerinos connect with her classmates because her attitude sets a tone for the rest of the locker room.

“She’s really funny. That’s what I really like about her,” Newborn said. “I think it’s really important because if we are all in a negative mood, we always need someone to lift us up.”

Months before the start of the season, Avgerinos found her place within the locker room by surrounding herself with her teammates every day. Whether inside the classroom or working hard on the tennis court, she has focused on building close relationships with all of her colleagues.

She believes that her effort to improve team chemistry will be beneficial in the long run, as the Orange plays its first season in the ACC.

“I think it helps our team with how close we are both on and off the court,” Avgerinos said.

Interim head coach Shelley George said that Avgerinos has been a good asset because she’s stepped in the rotation against quality competition. George acknowledges the challenges that Avgerinos has encountered in order to become an all-court player, as a freshman transitioning to the college game.

But George is pleased with the strides Avgerinos has taken as a result of working well with her teammates in the weight room and on the tennis court.

“She had some rough times because of her lack of experience, but she’s growing fast and has been getting better everyday at practice,” George said. “She’s a great competitor and a great fighter, and we’re trying to bring her along as quickly as possible.”

George is hopeful that Avgerinos will be able to gain more reps during live-game action against the difficult competition of the ACC. With the season-ending injury to Marrow, George is relying on Avgerinos to step up and take the opportunity to fill a key role.

“I think (the competition) has already prepared her. We’ve thrown her in against nationally ranked teams,” George said. “Anytime you step into a collegiate atmosphere like this, you might have expectations as to what you think it’s like, but you don’t really know until you get in that fight.”

Avgerinos is embracing the chance to develop her skills against the best tennis programs in the country. She is staying calm, using her outgoing personality to create a positive environment for teammates and coaches alike.

With the progress that Avgerinos has made during her first year in the program, she is convinced that her successful development will pay dividends for the remainder of the season.

“I feel since the beginning of the year, since starting in college, being around these girls, we are all pushing each other,” Avgerinos said. “I feel that I’ve grown so much as a player that I’m really excited to see what I can do this semester.”