Larry Wilmore

Wilmore offers advice, wisdom on dealing with media bias

Frankie Prijatel | Contributing Photographer

Larry Wilmore speaks during the 13th Annual Conversation on Race and Entertainment Media at the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium.

Larry Wilmore is in the business of making people laugh.

On Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium was filled with people laughing both at Wilmore’s satire and themselves. As the “senior black correspondent” for “The Daily Show,” Wilmore taught students and faculty how comedy can be used as a way to disarm people and make them more comfortable with the situations around them.

Wilmore spoke at Syracuse University as a part of the Leaders in Communications 13th Annual Conversation on Race and Entertainment Media. His responses during the Q-and-A with associate professor Charisse L’Pree helped challenge questions about diversity in the television industry and what it means to be a successful black writer and producer in Hollywood today.

Although his witty remarks kept the audience enlivened with his energy and charisma, he told a relatable story of failures, successes and proving yourself to the world.

“We all start off as invisible, it’s just a matter of making yourself visible,” said Tennazha Bradley, a sophomore psychology major. She added that she was inspired by how Wilmore told the audience what it meant to overcome obstacles and make themselves known in such a challenging industry.

Remington Bennett, a freshman broadcast and digital journalism major, also appreciated the fact that Wilmore never gave up on what he wanted.

“I learned a lot about black people in the industry, and how hard it is to become a person of his status,” said Bennett, a Los Angeles native who plans on returning to Hollywood to get her start in broadcast journalism.

Wilmore spoke of how he and “The Daily Show” approached the difficult task of taking solemn current events and making them understandable and relatable to viewers.

Terell Drayton, a freshman economics major, said Wilmore took serious topics lightly, giving the Q-and-A a relaxed tone. Drayton added, “I didn’t know how involved he was in the television industry. I’m going to look out for him from now on.”

As a writer, producer and comedian who has been a part of a multitude of successful shows, including “The Bernie Mac Show,” “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and “Sister, Sister,” Wilmore’s advice had more than a solid dose of ethos for students aspiring to work in the television industry.

Despite the fact that Wilmore comes from a television background, his advice can apply to all students who are making decisions about what to do with their futures and who to become. He urged students to keep up with the things they believed in, no matter what others say about their work. He also encouraged students not to be followers in life.

“Things always change. If you’re doing things that no one’s done, don’t be afraid to lead,” Wilmore said.

After the talk, Wilmore opened up the floor to questions from the audience.

When asked what life advice Wilmore had received throughout his career that had stuck with him the most, what he said about dealing with adversity in the work place resonated with the audience.

Said Wilmore: “Treat people right, there’s no reason not to.”