Women's Lacrosse

Bodt emerges as weapon for already-potent Syracuse attack

Margaret Lin | Photo Editor

Erica Bodt has scored six goals in SU's last four games, and her confidence has gone up since her freshman year.

Sophomore midfielder Erica Bodt has been easy to spot during Syracuse’s current four-game winning streak. And it’s not just the sleek new black hair color that she debuted against Florida on March 15.

The sophomore has tallied six goals during the No. 3 Orange’s (10-1, 3-1 Atlantic Coast) quartet of recent victories, helping bolster an already explosive attack. She’ll look to pile up a few more when Syracuse charges into battle against No. 18 Albany (9-0, 1-0 America East) at the Carrier Dome on Tuesday at 6 p.m.

After starting 2014 with only three goals through SU’s first seven games, Bodt has now bumped her season total up to nine and sits only a pair shy of her freshman mark.

“I’m definitely more confident, which has helped a lot,” Bodt said. “The opportunity has just come the past few games that I’ve had a chance to take it to goal, which is really nice.”

Much of that confidence stems from the hard work she put in before stepping on campus.

Bodt dreamed of playing in the Carrier Dome since her days in middle school. Two of her youth coaches attended Syracuse, so she grew up idolizing the team and made it a personal goal to eventually suit up for the Orange.

But she found her dream in jeopardy when she suffered a stress fracture during her sophomore year at John Carroll School in Bel Air, Md. All of a sudden, her usual routine on the soccer and lacrosse field was replaced with rest and rehabilitation.

“It definitely shook me a little bit,” Bodt said. “I had to reflect on it a lot.”

It also motivated her to come back stronger than ever — and she did. Bodt scored 55 goals her senior season, and was named a 2012 Under Armour All-American. The offer to play at Syracuse became a reality, and she jumped on it.

Orange head coach Gary Gait knew Bodt was a potential superstar, but she struggled to trust herself as a freshman. That’s starting to change this season and the results are showing up in the box score.

“She’s got all the talent,” Gait said. “Speed, athleticism, a great stick. She just needs to build on her confidence level and I think scoring the last few games helps.”

Bodt now adds another dimension to an already dangerous midfield. With two seniors and a junior routinely in the starting lineup, the position is one of the team’s biggest strengths, said fellow middie Katie Webster.

But it will be more of a question mark next year after graduation takes four seniors and a lot of veteran leadership from SU’s midfield depth. Based on Bodt’s work ethic in practice and passion for lacrosse, though, Webster is confident the sophomore can help fill those voids.

“Having her as a middie out there with us, I know that she’s going to do great things in the next couple years,” Webster said.

For now, Bodt is only focused on the season at hand. With six games left on the schedule and tournament play looming, she’ll have plenty of chances to show off her new look and confidence.

“I made the right decision and I’m really glad that I’m here,” Bodt said. “It’s really exciting to be part of such a great program and atmosphere. It’s just awesome.”