Bromley improves 40-yard dash time, participates in 3 drills at SU Pro Day

Ziniu Chen | Staff Photographer

Jay Bromley was one of 12 Syracuse players to participate in SU Pro Day on Wednesday. He’s projected as a sixth- or seventh-round pick by CBS Sports.

At this point, all Jay Bromley can do is wait. After turning in a solid showing at Syracuse’s Pro Day on Wednesday, Bromley believes he’s done everything he can to get drafted by an NFL team.

He ran around a 4.8 40-yard dash at Pro Day, improving his previous time of 5.06 from the NFL Combine in February. Bromley also turned in what he considered good performance in the L-drill and position work. He was one of 12 SU players to participate in Pro Day in front of scouts from 29 NFL teams.

Bromley doesn’t care where he’s drafted as long as he gets picked. He hopes he did enough last season, and during his four-year college career, to lure NFL teams.

One month ago, Bromley said he feels he’s one of the Top-10 defensive tackles in the Class of 2014. After Pro Day, he still holds that belief.

“I don’t know how many D-tackles have 10 sacks,” Bromley said with a grin. “And I wasn’t in a whack conference. I was in the (Atlantic Coast Conference).”

Bromley said he wasn’t trying to prove anything to anyone Wednesday afternoon. The only critic he thinks about is himself. He knows there are things he still has to work on — such as his hands, footwork and vision — but those are things even the best NFL linemen have to spend time improving.

Bromley’s main focus now is getting ready for rookie training camp, and hoping his name is called in May. Right now he’s projected as a sixth- or seventh-round pick by CBS Sports.

Whether Bromley piques NFL teams’ interest remains to be seen, however his teammates only have praise for one of the anchors of the defense a season ago.

“He’s a dog, man,” SU linebacker Marquis Spruill said. “He’s a great player. Whatever team passes him up, I feel sorry for them.”

SU running back Jerome Smith said Bromley has worked extremely hard to get to this point, and that he can’t wait to see what he does in the NFL.

And on Wednesday, Smith watched as Bromley tore through various drills.

“He had a heck of a day today,” Smith said. “He looked good. He was in and out of his cuts in his drills.”

Bromley said he doesn’t have any team visits lined up yet. If they trickle in, he’ll embrace the opportunity. If not, he knows he did everything he could.

He doesn’t care whether he plays in a 3-4, 4-3 or any other defense. None of that matters.

All that matters is that he makes a roster. And Wednesday was another positive step toward that goal.

“I’ll be blessed with whatever team takes me,” Bromley said, “and I’ll fit that mold.”