Tennis

Freshman Salazar looks to continue contributing as Syracuse travels to Miami (Fla.)

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

As a freshman, Valeria Salazar has stepped in right away and contributed to a team that has been plagued with injuries this season.

Correction: In a previous version of this article, the number of times Salazar won both a singles and doubles match was misstated. Salazar had won a singles and doubles match once before. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

Valeria Salazar has not allowed her recent success to change her demeanor on the court.

When Salazar delivered a big win for Syracuse against Florida State on March 7, the freshman cracked a smile as teammates rushed to congratulate her on the court.

But Salazar wasn’t prepared to remain content with the victory over the Seminoles. The expectations would remain the same moving forward — to continue performing at a very high level during her first season with the Orange.

“I’ve been playing since I was 10, and have traveled to many places,” Salazar said. “The experience of wanting to win, and being in that tough position (to win) makes you really want it.”

As Syracuse (2-8, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) travels to face Miami (Fla.) (12-2, 6-0) on Friday, Salazar is primed to continue rising as a reliable contributor. Her success with Maddie Kobelt in doubles, as well as her recent improvement in singles matches, has played a critical role in SU’s two victories against ranked teams.

Regardless of the outcome, Salazar stays calm and collected and always reminds herself of the unpredictability of the game.

“Sometimes you lose, and sometimes you’re lucky and you win,” Salazar said. “That’s how tennis goes.”

With injuries to Aleah Marrow and Breanna Bachini, Salazar has embraced her increasing role with the team. In her victory against Florida State, she won both a singles and doubles match, a sign that her hard work was leading to success against ranked opponents.

Head coach Shelley George acknowledged that Salazar has grown as a player due to the leadership around her, and is gaining the respect of her teammates through her recent success.

“Valeria has great leadership there on the court with her,” George said. “Maddie is a senior, she’s been through all of this before. But Valeria’s got her own game. She can make her own shots as well.”

Salazar has improved her development as a player while playing alongside Kobelt. While Kobelt has led the doubles pairing all season, she believes that Salazar has delivered on her end in the matches.

“All season we’ve been playing together, and she has been rock solid,” Kobelt said. “She has done a really great job with composing herself and executing the right shots.”

Salazar has excelled in SU’s rotation because of her willingness to take risks and do whatever is necessary to win matches. A recent example was her victory in the singles match against Florida State’s Kristina Schleich. Salazar had allowed a 5-2 lead in the final set to slip away.

But her resiliency paid off as she rallied to win the next two points and secure a 7-5 victory.

“I went for too much in that match point, but I had to do something,” she said. “I had to go out for all of my shots. I had to keep playing my game.”

As Syracuse looks to earn its first road win of the season, Salazar believes she is very fortunate with her recent performances against quality teams in the ACC.

And against the Hurricanes, she could be the difference-maker.

Said Salazar: “I’m just very happy that I am able to be in this position. I have played many matches before, but this is a different atmosphere.”