Tennis

Kobelt prepares to play top freshman in country, Loeb

/ The Daily Orange

Senior Maddy Kobelt will take on the nation's best player in North Carolina's Jamie Loeb at Drumlins Tennis Club on Sunday.

When Maddie Kobelt stepped on the practice court Tuesday, she didn’t do anything out of the ordinary.

This week she’ll play North Carolina’s Jamie Loeb, the best player in the NCAA. Kobelt believes the only way to prepare for a match of this magnitude is to take the same approach.

“I’ve been putting in the exact amount of preparation that I’ve done all semester,” the senior said. “Jamie is working hard and playing at the top of her game.

“I’m just excited to go play and blessed to have another opportunity to do what I love.”

Kobelt will be the driving force if Syracuse (3-9, 3-4 Atlantic Coast) upsets No. 10 North Carolina (17-3, 5-1 Atlantic Coast) and earns its biggest win in program history on Sunday at Drumlins Country Club. Her singles match against Loeb could also determine if the Orange earns its fourth victory against a ranked opponent, which would help the team continue its recent surge.

Loeb, a reigning National Indoor Intercollegiate champion, is a freshman that has faced some of the nation’s best players. And against a savvy veteran like Kobelt, Loeb said the biggest key is to play at her normal pace.

“I will have to force her to play my game,” Loeb said, “and get her to play out of her comfort zone.”

Syracuse interim head coach Shelley George believes Kobelt is psyched for the opportunity to play game against the best player in the country, but that the senior hasn’t been any different in her preparation for the match.

During this week in practice, Kobelt has focused on keeping up her aggressive style of play, and George is intrigued to see how Kobelt and Loeb use their strengths against each other.

“It’s a huge opportunity for Maddie,” George said. “She’s playing the No. 1 player in the country, who brings a different game style. I think it will be interesting how Jamie approaches Maddie’s attacking game.”

When Kobelt and Loeb go head-to-head this weekend, they will come to the court with different career backgrounds. Loeb has earned a reputation as an elite player during her time in juniors and as a freshman at North Carolina and was the top recruit in the Class of 2013.

Kobelt, meanwhile, has garnered attention across the ACC due to her experience in big matches over the years.

North Carolina head coach Brian Kalbas has been impressed with Loeb’s maturity as a player. She is showing the effort to improve upon certain areas of her game instead of staying content with her current level.

Kalbas also said that Kobelt has benefited from playing against the best young players across the country. And Kobelt hasn’t played the freshman, she’ll be tough competition for her.

“Maddie has played in the same pro-tournaments that Jamie has played in,” Kalbas said. “As a senior, she isn’t going to be afraid of anyone.”

Kobelt has won her singles match in all three of SU’s wins this season. If the Orange is to secure a win over a Top-10 opponent, she’ll need to do that again.

And her goal will be simple — dominate on her home court against Loeb and set the tone for Syracuse.

Kobelt recognizes the chance to prove herself against the younger Loeb and deliver a win in a memorable match in front of the home crowd.

Said Kobelt: “If we both go out there and put on our best, then we’ll have one heck of a match for everyone that comes out to Drumlins.”