Meet Monday

Meet Monday: Manpreet Kaur

Manpreet Kaur’s favorite memory at Syracuse University is one many students find awkward: the ice cream social during orientation week.

“It is really funny, because you usually don’t end up talking to those awkward, first day of freshman year friends again,” she said. “But the friends I went to that ice cream social with are still my best friends.”

Kaur grew up in small town Amsterdam, NY, but was born in India, where her family is originally from.

While she may not live there, Kaur still holds Indian culture and traditions valuable.

“There is definitely a community on campus, specifically the South Asian Student Association,” Kaur said, who attends many of their events celebrating South Asian customs and holidays.

Kaur displays her Indian roots through participating in Orange Bhangra, a dance group on campus that performs the traditional folk dance that originated in Punjab, she said.

“Bhangra is in my blood,” said Kaur, who was initially too intimidated to try out for the team her freshman year.

Kaur eventually did build up the courage to try out, and ultimately became the Captain of Orange Bhangra last year.

“Most people that know me think I am pretty outgoing but I have ultimate stage fright,” she said. “But I have so much fun once I am on stage, I feed off the crowd’s energy.”

Kaur’s performances typically last four to six minutes, but she said it feels like she is on stage for 10 seconds.

“It is such an adrenaline rush,” she said. “My life is very much work, Bhangra, school.”

As for what her future holds, the aspiring lawyer is planning to attend law school in the fall.

“I am so nervous to graduate,” said Kaur, who had a shocking realization this past week while at Faegan’s Cafe & Pub. She noticed her graduation countdown had dwindled down to 46 days.

Said Kaur: “It surprised me so much to see that senior year has gone by so fast. Syracuse has become my second home. I will miss all the comforts I’ve found here.”