Tennis

Syracuse players step up to fill void left by injured Marrow

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

Junior Komal Safdar has stepped up her play since senior captain Aleah Marrow went down for the season.

Correction: In a previous version of this article, Syracuse and Florida State’s records were misstated. Syracuse is (1-8, 1-3) ACC and FSU (8-4, 3-1) ACC. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

When Syracuse began play in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the challenge became more difficult when senior Aleah Marrow sustained a season-ending injury.

Marrow, who is a veteran leader in the locker room, had her final run with the Orange derailed during SU’s first campaign in a new, more competitive conference.

And as Marrow recalled the disappointing news, she didn’t hesitate when asked how the team will replace her production.

“They’ve seen me play before and seen how I’ve led the team. They know how to carry themselves on the court,” Marrow said. “It’s a matter of whether they want to mirror those actions. Obviously it’s a challenge, but I think they are ready.”

So far, Syracuse has used a collective effort to fill Marrow’s void in the rotation. On Friday, SU imposed its will against Virginia Tech, 5-2, for the first win of the season. And now the Orange (1-8, 1-3 ACC) looks for its second home victory in three matches when it hosts Florida State (8-4, 3-1) on Friday at 2 p.m. at Drumlins Tennis Club.

Interim head coach Shelley George has been impressed with the heart her squad has shown in recent weeks. She is excited about the development of the freshmen and the team’s growth as a whole in Marrow’s absence.

“I think they’re doing awesome. They were good, solid players before they got here,” George said of the young team. “But having that team camaraderie and that team aspect out here on the court, that really makes a big difference.”

The absence of Marrow has opened doors for Rhiann Newborn and Valeria Salazar to produce on a weekly basis. The two freshmen have quickly impressed their teammates due to recent success against tough competition.

Newborn delivered in the singles tiebreaker against Virginia Tech that sealed the team’s first victory. She followed up the next day by recording the only point for Syracuse against third-ranked Virginia in her singles match.

Meanwhile, Salazar has elevated her game alongside senior Maddie Kobelt and is improving in singles matches against quality players from the ACC.

Kobelt said that in Marrow’s absence, the focus has been to provide energy and become better competitors on the court. She believes that the team has fed off the freshmen’s efforts in recent weeks.

“Rhiann and Valeria have provided great energy and fight during the competitions,” Kobelt said. “We were competitive with them because of the energy they have brought to the matches.”

As the freshmen began providing spark for the Orange, the veterans have adopted a sense of urgency in Marrow’s absence.

Amanda Rodgers was vital in last week’s win over the Hokies, earning her first victory of the season. Junior Komal Safdar has elevated her role with the team by earning her first doubles victory with Newborn, who played alongside Marrow early in the season.

Safdar acknowledges the challenge in replacing Marrow’s energy and production on the court. But she doesn’t believe the team is fazed by Marrow’s absence.

Instead, she is confident the team will replace its senior leader moving forward.

“Aleah’s unique, she’s definitely hard to replace,” Safdar said. “I know the freshmen are definitely stepping up. Me, Amanda and Breanna (Bachini) know that ‘Cuse energy and what dual matches are like. With her gone, all of us are really stepping up.”