Women's Lacrosse

Webster makes Tewaaraton Watch List, shines for Syracuse early in season

Margaret Lin | Photo Editor

Katie Webster has been named to the Tewaaraton Award Watch List.

As No. 2 Syracuse trotted onto the practice field Friday, it was nearly impossible to miss the broad smile that appeared on the face of senior midfielder Katie Webster.

It was an understandable reaction for someone placed on the Tewaaraton Award Watch List hours earlier, along with teammates Alyssa Murray and Kayla Treanor.

“It’s so cool,” Webster said. “Obviously I’m here for the team and everything, but it’s exciting that they named me too.”

Apparently, the excitement didn’t wear off by Sunday afternoon.

Webster paced the Orange (6-0, 2-0 Atlantic Coast) during the first half of its 12-7 victory over Towson with three goals in a span of 9:08. The hat trick was her second in as many games, and she now ranks fifth on the team with 13 points on the season.

As a senior, Webster is the anchor of a midfield unit that has had a lot of offensive success. But even with the added pressure that accompanies this duty, she’s having more fun than ever during her final season.

“I think it’s everything and more,” Webster said. “We get to see amazing things, and I get to have the best friends in the world.”

Webster’s role on the team has changed significantly since she first arrived at Syracuse prior to the 2011 season. She became an immediate scoring threat as a freshman and finished the spring with 31 goals. She added another 41 the following year and played more like an attack than a pure midfielder.

Starting in 2013, though, things began to change. With the explosive emergence of Treanor and offensive domination of Murray, the Syracuse native wasn’t expected to pile up the goals anymore. She had to adapt and excel away from the cage.

“Last year and this year, I’ve turned into more of a true middie,” Webster said. “Going hard from 30-to-30, and that’s where they need me so I’m happy to be that.”

Her work ethic and team-first philosophy have made her one of the most respected players on the Syracuse sideline. Teammate Gabby Jaquith, who missed all of 2013 with an injury, considers Webster one of her best friends and a fierce competitor.

“She’s honestly an unbelievable player,” Jaquith said. “Playing with Katie, I get better every single day and can’t wait to see what she does this season.”

Syracuse head coach Gary Gait said Webster is a team captain for a reason. She’s very coachable and will do whatever it takes to help the team win. That’s why he wouldn’t be surprised if her hot start extends through the entire season.

“We could really use her senior leadership on the offense to create some balance,” Gait said. “Just hope we can get more of that all year long.”

So far so good, as the regular starting trio of Webster, Jaquith and Amy Cross has combined for 22 goals out of the Orange midfield.

For now, though, Webster’s main focus is Monday’s game against No. 3 Maryland, the fourth-consecutive ranked opponent that Syracuse must face. Although a third hat trick would be nice, she said she’ll be happy to share the scoring wealth with her teammates.

That mindset may not win the Tewaaraton Trophy, but it’ll help SU contend for a title. That way, all of her teammates can smile along with her.

“When I was told that I could play college lacrosse, I never thought that it was this huge family,” Webster said. “We know how each other plays and let each other do their thing, and that’s how we have the chemistry right now.”