Columnists

Cregan: As semester ends, columnist compares abroad lifestyle to U.S.

The semester is officially coming to an end. Temperatures are rising and the panic of finals is spiking. For students studying abroad, this also means it’s time for a settling of accounts and a time to reflect on the unique experience of spending more than four months in a foreign country.

Since I arrived in France, I’ve been mentally adjusting my tally of things I like about Europe and things I prefer in the United States. These preferences range from sweeping cultural truths to trivial pros and cons.

For example, the French have unbeatable bread, but exhibit a widespread, unacceptable failure to thoroughly alphabetize books in bookstores. For the past few weeks especially, I’ve been compiling a list of the things I’ll miss about life in France.

Though at times it can be a chore, speaking French is one of the things I’ll miss most when I return home. The fact is that, outside of class, I will rarely have a reason to speak French in the United States — unless I follow through with a half-baked plan to sabotage my food service career by replying in French to IHOP customers who order the Viva La French Toast Combo.

Realistically, though, my French will never be better or more fluent than during the time I spent abroad, and I will miss the satisfaction of cruising through a conversation with fluency. Or at least understanding what the other person said.

The relative ease of traveling in Europe is another major strong point. Europe’s small size and interconnectedness expose citizens and visitors alike to a wealth of cultures and sights. In Europe, seven hours on a train will take you from Paris to Milan; in the U.S., it takes you from Cleveland to Chicago.

But on the other side there are, of course, things I won’t miss about Europe. Like being served espresso in a Dixie cup when I order a coffee. I’m counting the days until normal sized coffee mugs are again the norm, as well as the day I can talk at full volume without feeling guilty. In a land of low-talkers and unbelievably squeaky floorboards — wall-to-wall carpeting is a rarity in Strasbourg — I always feel like I’m making a little too much noise.

Looking back on your time abroad means more than tallying up the quirks and pet peeves of daily life in a new place. Ideally, a truly meaningful experience adds to your future rather than simply fading into the past. Studying abroad will, I’m sure, affect me in ways I can’t yet predict.

But one thing I do know is that studying in Europe has inspired me to travel more in my native country. After going through the typical European travel experiences — Paris, Prague, Dublin, etc. — I want to take the typical American road trip and see Washington, D.C., New Orleans, the Grand Canyon and more. If and when I do take this road trip, I know I’ll see it through different eyes after having spent time abroad.

In addition to changing my future, studying abroad will also leave its stamp on my personal history. Despite my best efforts, I’ll likely become one of those people who ramble on about “my time in Europe” to college roommates, co-workers, children, grandchildren and strangers at the bus stop.

If I can say anything about my time in Strasbourg with certainty, it’s this: studying abroad has given me some great stories to tell.

Maggie Cregan is a sophomore history and magazine journalism major. From Cleveland to Syracuse to Strasbourg, she enjoys rocking out and getting hopelessly lost. If you want to talk to her about this column, or are Keith Richards, reach her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @MaggieCregan_SU.