Letter to the Editor

High costs of organ donations create need for family fundraiser

On Tuesday, the President and the New York State Assembly recognized April as National Donate Life Month. Like the President said, “Individuals in need of these donations are our moms, dads, brothers, sisters, children and friends …” In my case it’s my best friend — my mom, Judy Coon.

Chances are, a lot of us know someone who has needed or needs an organ donation; and out of more than 121,000 Americans currently on a transplant waiting list, about 10,000 are New Yorkers. About 22 percent of New Yorkers are registered donors, compared to the nationwide average of 45 percent, ranking N.Y. 49th out of 50 states with regard to percentage of residents enrolled as organ donors.

This is a staggering statistic, but I’m encouraged by the steps taken in this year’s state budget to address the issue and urge Assemblyman Sam Roberts, Assemblyman Bill Magnarelli, Senator John DeFrancisco and Gov. Andrew Cuomo to keep doing more. New Yorkers are depending on it.

We set up a family fundraiser to help with the sky-high costs of medical bills and getting on a transplant list, since it’s impossible for any family to anticipate something this life-changing. The real gift though, is the gift of life, so please consider registering today.

Judith’s Liver Transplant Fund: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/judith-s-liver-transplant-fund/25904

Lauren Coon
Daughter of Judy Coon and organ donor advocate from Syracuse