Knapp medically disqualified after suffering 3rd concussion, will become undergraduate assistant

Correction: In a previous version of this article, the number of since since Adam Harris’ concussion was misstated. Kyle Knapp became the third Syracuse player in the last four seasons to have his career cut short from multiple concussions. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

Syracuse offensive lineman Kyle Knapp has been medically disqualified after suffering his third concussion, SU head coach Scott Shafer said Tuesday.

Knapp, who redshirted two seasons ago and was limited to two games last year, was transitioning to guard this spring before the third concussion ended his career.

“Since he’s been in Syracuse, he’s had three concussions in a very short period of time,” Shafer said. “The doctors just felt like they had to disqualify him from playing.”

Knapp becomes the third Syracuse player in the last four seasons to have his career cut short from multiple concussions after fullback Adam Harris and defensive end Tyler Marona. He was listed as the first-team right guard on the spring depth chart.

Knapp will stay on with the team as an undergraduate assistant coach, Shafer said.

“It killed him,” Shafer said. “He was crushed, but you’ve got to turn that leaf over.”

Shafer said Knapp’s most recent MRI came back totally clean, and that Knapp asked Shafer if that meant he could continue playing.

“‘No,’” Shafer said he told Knapp. “‘The doctor said it’s not safe. We’re going to move forward. Some things are more important than football.’”

In reaction to the increase in concussions, Shafer began looking into protective helmets this spring. He noticed that programs including South Carolina, Clemson, Boston College and Temple had bought black, padded helmet attachments that reduce impact.

On Sunday, he introduced the helmet pads to his players and made them mandatory for all players in uniform.