Technology

Knighton: Google Glass partnership with Luxottica makes product fashionable

Google Glass will finally receive the makeover it needs.

The search engine powerhouse has announced its partnership with the eyewear company Luxottica, which will add some much needed style to the high-tech glasses. Luxottica is the manufacturer of Ray-Ban and Oakley products and will help develop, design and distribute the new and improved Glass once the official release date is announced.

Google Glass in its current state is built with a bulky metal band near the lens that has given the device a reputation for having a nerdy and robotic look. It’s safe to assume Luxottica will give the pair of specs a fresh new look that will appeal more to the general public before it is shipped to stores.

So far Google has only released 10,000 beta glasses to a select group — including Syracuse University — known as “explorers.” After giving it a try, many users deemed Google Glass to be more of an accessory rather than an everyday product. What better company than the makers of Ray-Ban and Oakley to develop this high-tech accessory?

It’s been more than two years since the idea of Google Glass first came about and it almost feels like the product is available, but it isn’t. Under the microscope of tech blogs and early adopters, we’ve seen this product grow from mere speculation, to its first redesign and soon to its release to the public.

Through trial and error, Google has withstood all the criticism and could actually change the perception of wearable technology if Luxottica figures out a way to give Glass a more subtle look while still maintaining all of its features.

Branding is also huge, especially with the young adult demographic. The names Ray-Ban and Oakley give Google Glass instant cool points with the people using social media the most, which is the most efficient form of promotion in the world of smartphones.

You can already envision a snowboarding commercial where Google Glass by Oakley captures the ride down the slopes. It will be interesting to see if Google boasts its name on the advertisements or ride the coattails of Ray-Ban and Oakley to display its product as fashionably as it can.

The blueprint has now been set for any type of wearable technology. Linking up with an already established style brand provides instant credibility along with more time to focus on the hardware. Most importantly, it provides insight to good fashion sense, because let’s be honest, what do tech guys know about style.

Smartwatches should take note of the Google-Luxottica alliance and follow the same path if Glass ultimately becomes popular. A Rolex or Hublot affiliation with Android would increase the chances of high-class tech enthusiasts taking notice.

Wearable technology is a still a foreign concept to the majority of the population, so regardless of design, having a computer attached to your face will take some time to get used to. Still, this is a major step in the right direction.

It seems Google is getting serious about releasing Glass to the public as soon as this year. This could also just be a PR bluff to repair its tarnished reputation. Either way, the idea of Ray-Ban or Oakley glasses that take photos hands-free is becoming a reality and I think we can all agree that’s pretty cool. If only we could buy these things.

Aarick Knighton is a sophomore information management and technology major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected]