Meet Monday: Mim Powelson

Genevieve Pilch | Staff Photographer

Mim Powelson, a junior natural history and interpretation major at SUNY-ESF was recently elected as the head captain of the Syracuse Snare club Quidditch team.

One of Mim Powelson’s greatest adventures happened on Mount Washington.

The junior natural history and interpretation major at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry was leading a day hike toward Mount Washington, the tallest mountain in New Hampshire, when nature struck.

“We got to the top of the mountain and this huge storm hit,” she said. “It was intense. One hundred miles per hour winds, fog and hail. Thankfully, we all made it through.”

It’s not only in the mountains of New Hampshire where Powelson finds adventure, though. On Syracuse University’s campus, she found it through the Syracuse Snare, the club Quidditch team.

“I’ve always loved Harry Potter,” she said. “My mom read the books to me every night when I was younger.”

Powelson is the newly elected head captain of the Syracuse Snare team and plays as a chaser and beater on the team, which competed in the Quidditch World Cup in April.

She said that her time on the team began when a good friend suggested that she join, knowing she wanted to get involved with something athletic.

“When I tell people I am on the Quidditch team, it is a moment of truth. They either like it or immediately judge me,” she said. “But most people have really positive reactions.”

Powelson believes that most people simply do not understand the actual game of Quidditch or the intensity and athleticism necessary to succeed at it.

“The first question I get is, how do you guys fly?” she said. “Obviously we don’t, but Quidditch is much more than just Harry Potter geeks running around. It is an actual sport.”

She also said the best thing about the Quidditch team is the family atmosphere both on and off the field.

“We stand out compared to most teams because while it is nice to win a game, we really just love having fun and making great friends,” Powelson said. “We are even starting a Quidditch House next year.”