Meet Monday: Scott Stabbert

Genevieve Pilch | Staff Photographer

Scott Stabbert, a sophomore broadcast journalism and marketing dual major, has appeared on "Teen Wolf" and "Glee" as an extra, and is a frequent audience member for "The Voice."

On the season premiere of “Teen Wolf,” Scott Stabbert’s phone inbox blew up with text messages from his friends who had just seen him sitting right behind the lead character in one of the first scenes.

Hailing from outside San Diego, the sophomore broadcast and digital journalism and marketing double major has been an extra on several TV shows. He knows all the Top 40 hits and is regularly a member of the audience on “The Voice” — he’s been to every one of the show’s season finales since its second season.

“I love entertainment, but I don’t want to just cover it. I want to be a part of it,” Stabbert said. “I want to make an impact on the industry.”

Stabbert is currently the production director at Z89, where he also covers entertainment news and is a radio show host.

Top 40 hits are becoming his favorite genre of music, mainly due to strong vocals from artists like Bruno Mars, he said.

“Whether people want to admit or not, those songs stay in your head,” he said. “Perfect for jogging.”

Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest are both entertainment icons that Stabbert admires for their success, style and talent.

“I would love to be a mix between Ryan Seacrest’s showmanship and Dick Clark’s business sense,” he said. “Their work ethic inspires me.”

Hard work is something Stabbert is very familiar with himself, especially when he wakes up at 4:30 a.m. to host his radio show on Friday mornings.

“I am not a morning person,” he said. “But the experience is more than worth it, especially when someone calls in just to talk with you or tunes in every week.”

Stabbert has also seen airtime on national television as an extra on popular television shows like “Glee” and “Teen Wolf.”

“You can learn so much just from going and watching a production or show,” he said. “It is such valuable experience. You just absorb the energy.”

Stabbert’s current day job is working at Sadler Dining Center, but he hopes to continue playing extras in movies or television shows, while also focusing on his future in entertainment broadcasting.

Said Stabbert: “My parents always taught me that hard work is what will get you to the top. I would be miserable doing anything else. I love this industry; it never feels like a job.”