Miller gets 1st-team reps at center for Syracuse at open practice, Trudo lines up at right guard

For years at Syracuse, there was never a question of who the starting center would be. Macky MacPherson held the position down as a three-year starter and started all 38 games during those seasons.

This spring was the first time that there would inevitably have to be change. Rob Trudo, a guard for the past two seasons, began the spring as the No. 1 center on the depth chart, but at the Orange’s first open practice on Tuesday, Trudo primarily lined up at right guard with John Miller getting first-team reps at center.

“To be honest with you, John Miller could kind of be the most improved player this spring right now,” head coach Scott Shafer said, “and I really like the way he looked the last two practices.”

Although Trudo has some experience at center, Shafer likes his physicality at guard and playing Miller at center allows Trudo to contribute there.

“I love his aggression,” quarterback Terrel Hunt said. “Whenever he gets mad, I feel bad for the guy in front of him.”

As Miller thrusts himself into the middle of the competition at center, it at least gives SU some depth at a previously questionable position.

With Kyle Knapp’s career over because of concussions, there is an opening on the offensive line. Trudo, Sean Hickey, Nick Robinson and Ivan Foy will all likely start, but Miller could allow those four to play the same positions they played last year instead of shuffling.

And if not, he’ll at least be there to provide some relief in the case of injury or exhaustion and some competition at a position that needs it.

“We have some viable options,” Shafer said, “and I’m really interested to watch this tape because I was pleased with the way Miller played in practice the other day.”