Christopher "Shinobi" Dugger

Syracuse man pleads guilty to breaking into Hall of Languages office, will now serve at least 2 years in prison

A thief who calls himself a Japanese word meaning “elite ninja” now faces at least two years in prison after admitting Wednesday he broke into an office at Hall of Languages in mid-February.

Christopher “Shinobi” Dugger pleaded guilty to felony third-degree burglary a little after 10:20 a.m. before County Court Judge Joseph Fahey.

Dugger, 25, of 521 Garfield Ave., Syracuse, was arrested on Feb. 15 along with Duncan “Wonderboy” Miller. Police accuse the pair of breaking into offices in Hall of Languages and each taking two laptops worth about $1,000. Both men were arraigned last week on a two-count indictment.

Their arrests came after the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety issued an alert earlier in the semester about a string of burglaries at academic buildings. At least eight campus buildings were broken into, and DPS has said the men were being considered as “possible suspects.”

Defense attorney Fran Walter said the district attorney’s office suspects Dugger was involved in other crimes on campus, but did not have enough information to charge him.

“How do they know that?” Walter said. “Apparently they haven’t had any problems since he was incarcerated.”

Prosecutor John Jensen did not immediately return a phone call Wednesday morning about the plea agreement. The two-to four-year prison sentence also settles two pending misdemeanor cases Dugger has in Syracuse City Court. Because of a prior felony conviction for attempted burglary, that’s the minimum sentence Dugger could’ve gotten by law.

Judge Fahey also called for a restitution order. That would require Dugger to pay back the full value of the items he stole. But Walter said it is “very unlikely” Dugger will be able to put up the money, adding the police recovered the stolen items when he was arrested anyway.

“SU isn’t going to get a dime,” Walter said. “The only way they will is if he wins the lottery or has a rich uncle somewhere who dies.”

Handcuffed and dressed in a tan jail uniform, Dugger looked directly at the judge and quietly answered his questions: “Did you take something? Did you have the right to do that?” The case was handled in fewer than five minutes, and Dugger looked out at the courtroom before being whisked away.

Sentencing is set for May 28. Dugger is being held on no bail, according to jail records.

Miller, Dugger’s co-defendant in the burglary case, is expected back in court next Monday. A judge will decide whether Miller will be able to undergo drug addiction treatment instead of doing jail time.