Team displays QueueCode application at expo

A new app created in collaboration between a Syracuse University and Le Moyne College student will give anyone the potential to create their own.

The app is called QueueCode and it was released for beta testing in March after being featured at Emerging Talk, an entrepreneurship expo, on Saturday. QueueCode is artificial intelligence software that can create thousands of lines of code in seconds. The user interface resembles that of the Adobe Creative Suite design software; however, it creates code after the user designs it — letting anyone create an app.

Syracuse University sophomore management major Aidan Cunniffe and 2013 Le Moyne College graduate Nate Frechette developed Queue, while 2013 SU graduate Paul Berg is the lead designer.

“Think about all the different opportunities we’d be creating for people,” Cunniffe said. “If you have a cool app idea one day, you can just go home and make it in a couple of hours instead of spending months of your life finding people who would build it for you.”

Frechette and Cunniffe started Queue, the company behind QueueCode, last March. Just as QueueCode was being created, the team found another member when Paul Berg, a 2013 SU graduate, joined the team.

The team predicts that QueueCode will be released to the public in January 2015. They plan to sell the software straight to users and lease it to development shops, which create apps. They also plan to expand QueueCode so it can create websites, as well.

Thirty to 50 startups have requested to use QueueCode. The team will take on about 10 to beta test and see how the product works for them.

Barnett Klane, a 2013 SU graduate, looks forward to using QueueCode in his development shop The Codery. He said he got a sneak peak at QueueCode in February.

Currently, Klane, a handful of freelance developers and a designer service clients’ needs. With the help of QueueCode, he said his team’s turnaround time will be faster and they’ll have a better product.

Klane’s company and other development shops would have the ability to export the code and further fine-tune the product for the client. Klane foresees using QueueCode to create the base of the app, showing the client that product and then altering the app to the client’s needs in a more focused and efficient manner.

Klane’s only concern is about the quality of the code that is exported.

“With programming, there is many ways to solve a program,” he said. “The quality is not always measured in the number of lines.”

The team has received about 200 emails after QueueCode entered beta testing. A video was released two weeks ago marking the start of beta testing.

Tony Kershaw, assistant director of IDEA, the entrepreneurship hub on campus, has helped guide the team through the process and believes QueueCode has potential.

“It could be a very successful development company,” he said. “A large corporation could buy them out. They could stay private and sell their technologies to those corporations and just manage it.”

But like most startup endeavors, success could come from just getting a company’s name out there. For QueueCode, Kershaw said “these guys don’t care so much about the money.”