Advocacy Center

Syverud announces position changes, university initiatives in latest memo

Chancellor Kent Syverud released a memo Friday morning detailing several position changes and initiatives affecting the university.

One of those initiatives is the formation of a new University Leadership Team, which will include academic deans, senior academic leaders, Syverud’s senior executive team and senior representatives from every academic and administrative unit at SU, according to the memo. The team members will be announced soon and the group will hold its first meeting in June.

In the memo, Syverud also announced the creation of a Campus Master Plan Advisory Group. The 11 members will develop a University Campus Master Plan, which will focus on the physical form of the campus, determine issues and goals for development of building sites and establish architectural, landscape, zoning and other criteria for developing sites. The plan will be completed no later than May 2015.

“I expect that it will be integral to the University’s strategic plan and our common ambitions,” Syverud said in the memo.

Syverud also gave updates in the memo on two previously-created workgroups. One update was regarding the workgroup on a Carrier Dome backup plan.

In March, Syverud created a university workgroup to develop a contingency plan should the Dome become unusable due to roof failure. The group delivered its findings to Syverud Thursday, according to the memo. Some of the points Syverud noted include that the roof will likely need to be replaced in 7-10 years, and the cost to do so at that time would approach $25 million.

In the memo, Syverud discussed the financial losses that would occur if the Dome became unusable. The Central New York region would lose as much as $8.3 million in economic activity if the building was unavailable for a men’s basketball game against a top opponent, and the region would lose between $23 million and $44 million in economic activity if the Dome was unavailable for a full home football schedule.

Syverud also provided an update on the Interstate 81 Workgroup, which he appointed in April. Michael Speaks, dean of the SU School of Architecture, chairs the group. Syverud said the goal of the group isn’t to study proposals of I-81 alternatives.

“Rather, it is to help me and University leadership better assess the major issues surrounding the I-81 replacement and make decisions that are in the best interest of the University, both internally and externally,” Syverud said in the memo.

The chancellor said he expects the group to be finished with their work in late June.

The memo also contained information regarding organizational changes that will be taking place. One of those changes is within the Division of Student Affairs, which will be realigning key departments to “create a more integrated set of University support services for students impacted by sexual violence.”

In the memo, Syverud said there are currently more than five different points of entry within the university for those seeking sexual violence support services. Following the restructuring, the Counseling Center will serve as the primary entry point. The services of the Advocacy Center will be integrated with the Counseling Center.

There were also personnel changes announced in the memo:

• Chris Sedore, the current associate vice chancellor for academic operations, was appointed to a new senior leadership position in the Division of Enrollment Management. Sedore will focus on the recruiting, funding and retention of the student body.
  • Nicci Brown, currently the vice president of marketing and communications, will lead Sedore’s new office and serve as SU’s chief marketing officer.
  • Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina appointed Sam Scozzafava as interim chief information officer, effective immediately. Scozzafava is currently the associate CIO. A formal search for the permanent CIO will begin this fall.
  • Dickens “Deke” Mathieu, senior vice president and general counsel, will be departing his general counsel position at the end of June. Syverud said he will appoint a search committee for the position within the next several weeks, and hopes to have that process completed early in the fall semester.
  • Daniel French will become the university’s interim general counsel on July 1. French has provided legal counsel and services to SU in the past.
  • Effective July 1, the Air Force ROTC and Army ROTC programs will report to Mike Haynie, the vice chancellor for veterans and military affairs.
  • Effective immediately, the Office of the Registrar will report to Andria Costello Stanec, the associate provost for academic programs.