NBA Draft

Ennis sees himself fitting into Phoenix’s fast-paced offense

Phil D'Abbraccio | Asst. Sports Editor

There were rumors that Tyler Ennis could end up with the Toronto Raptors, but he'll stay put with the Phoenix Suns. He thinks his point guard style fits well with the Suns' fast-break offense.

NEW YORK — For a while, there was a chance that Tyler Ennis’ move from the tundra of the Northeast to the blazing temperatures of Phoenix was in jeopardy.

“This is probably going to be my first year not seeing snow, but I think change is good,” Ennis said.

Minutes after being selected 18th overall by the Phoenix Suns in the first round of the NBA Draft, reports said the Toronto Raptors were pushing to acquire the point guard and bring him to his native Canada.

But the Suns refused to loosen their grip on their prospect, and Ennis will indeed be starting his NBA journey in a warmer climate.

“I think at this level, you definitely have to earn your keep, earn your minutes on any team you go to,” he said. “I think this is no different situation. I’m ready to come in and learn the system, learn from the veterans and just earn my keep.”

Phoenix selected T.J. Warren, who won the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year with North Carolina State this past year, with the No. 14 overall pick.

Ennis will join a backcourt that includes leading scorer Goran Dragic, restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe and Gerald Green.

It’s a bit of a crowded rotation, but Ennis said he’s ready to go to work.

“I had a really good workout in Phoenix,” Ennis said. “I think heading into next year, it will be a hungry team and I’m more than happy to go in there and contribute to that.”

Phoenix ranked eighth in the NBA in offensive efficiency last season, and plays at an up-tempo pace that Ennis said he can handle.

“I see myself not turning the ball over too much,” he said, “and I think when you’re on the fast break running, you get vulnerable if you turn over the ball. I think I fit the system going up and down and finding guys in transition.

“Their style of play fits mine and I think with the young talent Phoenix has and me being a facilitator, I think it could really work well.”