Orientation Guide 2014

Freshman Five: Off-campus restaurants offer unique alternatives to dining halls

The city of Syracuse, New York is full of great restaurants, and choosing just one can be difficult. But a good balance of price, quality and distance from Syracuse University can ensure which places are worth leaving campus for.

The Blarney Stone Tavern

Just West of Downtown Syracuse is Tipperary Hill, a neighborhood with a rich Irish presence, replete with restaurants, bars and taverns — each with their own unique drinks and food. But one of them has surpassed the others when it comes to its menu: The Blarney Stone Tavern.

Although it’s not the best restaurant for students when proximity to campus is concerned, the titular Blarney Burger is well worth the drive up the hill. Customer reviews frequently laud the tavern as the best place to get a burger, especially in the Syracuse area. It’s also much cheaper than many other Syracuse options, costing around $4, without any added bacon, cheese or mushrooms. On a student budget, that’s hard to beat.

Alto Cinco

Westcott Street is known for its eclectic storefronts and offbeat restaurants. It’s also much closer to campus than the restaurants in Armory Square, so walking isn’t out of the question. There aren’t many options for Mexican food in the area, so Alto Cinco is a safe bet for a great meal.

Alto Cinco has a lot of unique dishes, from the California Burrito to the Jerk Chicken Quesadilla, but the Catfish Tacos are the local favorite. The atmosphere is inviting, and the establishment is frequented by SU, LeMoyne and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students alike. Although the prices are slightly higher than those on Marshall Street, the atmosphere and quality food make the Mexican cantina an easy recommendation.

Pastabilities

Several bus routes make the trip to Armory Square in Downtown Syracuse, and Pastabilities is one of the tried-and-true options for students and professionals alike. It has a classier atmosphere than most, with white tablecloths and candles at every table, and the food is hard to pass up.

The menu is extensive and any kind of pasta is a good choice, considering the restaurant’s Italian theme. The famous spicy hot tomato oil, the fresh local pasta and Locatelli cheese make the signature dishes all the more memorable. It’s one of the pricier places to eat in Armory Square, albeit for good reason.

Empire Brewery

Just around the corner from Pastablities, in a refurbished cellar, is Empire Brewery. It has one of the most inviting atmospheres in Syracuse and its variety of dishes makes it a recurring favorite for students.

There’s everything from Thai chicken, to elk burgers, to seasoned soft pretzels. It’s perfect for those who don’t know what they’re in the mood for on any given night. Legal patrons can also enjoy the brewery’s local craft beers as well, but the Empire crowd ranges from children to adults, so everyone will find something they’ll enjoy.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que 

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is one of the first recommendations new SU students hear upon arrival. It has the best variety of signature barbecue sauces in a wide area. There’s usually a long wait to get a table, but it’s worth it every time.

There’s pulled pork, ribs and brisket, all slathered in the barbecue joint’s variety of signature sauces. The atmosphere is laid back, although crowded — with a line often stretching out the door. The live music always makes it entertaining though. Dinosaur is a little farther of a trek for students, but the trip to Willow Street is made easy by several bus routes.