Fashion

Malliaros: Students should dress to impress on first day of class

There’s only one chance for a first impression. One person — yes, you — controls the outcome of those first moments meeting somebody. If you want to play the part, you have to dress for it, right? As the first day of classes comes, this is the time to leave a lasting mark.

Dressing your part is essential in communicating the impression of who you are and what you want to become. Students striving to work in fashion may take their wardrobe very seriously, whereas management students might consider business casual clothing appropriate upon meeting somebody for the first time.

The key isn’t to be on top of all of the emerging trends. For some, this is the standard, but it doesn’t have to be.

Trying to dress appropriately and presentably is reasonable. Most professors aren’t going to notice if your outfit is “so last season,” but they will certainly remember the student who showed up in pajamas and an old T-shirt. Either way, their impression of you will last throughout the semester, but I’m sure you would much rather have those first moments be positive.

Everybody has redeeming qualities that can be announced through clothing. Apparel allows us to complement the features we love and hide the ones we aren’t crazy about. Aim to be tasteful. Not too risky, but not boring either. You have to remember the difference between looking professional and getting ready for a night out with your sorority sisters.

Focusing on what represents your personality is what’s important. Dressing up is much easier when it comes naturally. You don’t want to force on a cute outfit just because you feel obligated to. You want to feel good in what you’re wearing and know that you’re making a good impression. Otherwise, what’s the use?

You want to look presentable and, dare I say, classy for the first few times meeting your professors. Ease into that lazy, I’m-a-stressed-out-student style. Save your Lululemon sweats for when you’re sleep deprived and running on Starbucks.

Let’s face it. It’s syllabus week. There aren’t any tests or presentations and there’s minimal to no homework. That being said, there aren’t any excuses for slacking off when it comes to dressing well.

You don’t have to look like you’re front row at New York Fashion Week, sitting next to Anna Wintour. All I’m saying is that you should go the extra mile, look neat and make a point to be noticed by your instructors. Be engaged and look great while doing it. That’s unforgettable.

But what if you haven’t a clue how to dress?

Use the two p’s: Pinterest and publications.

If you’re stuck and need outfit ideas, search online for “first day of school” and other related phrases to the style you’re looking for. You’ll be overwhelmed with the results, but it’s bound to offer you endless style solutions.

Still lost? Move on to a publication. Pick up a Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, ELLE or whatever else you enjoy reading and keep your eyes peeled for styles you can emulate. Each of those magazines is filled with endless inspiration.

In the end, dressing for success should mirror your personality. The word impression comes from the same word as impressive, so that’s what you need to aim for. Once you recognize that a first impression can only happen once, the rest will fall into place.

Zoe Malliaros is a sophomore advertising major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].