Robinson sprains foot, Shafer eyes season opener for guard’s return

A sprained foot is what kept Nick Robinson sidelined in the FanFest scrimmage on Saturday, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer announced Monday after practice.

Shafer said that the foot is the same one the senior guard injured in the spring, but didn’t know if it was related. He also said that Robinson “was playing the best football of his life before this,” and that the goal is to nurse him back in time for Syracuse’s season opener against Villanova on Aug. 29. 

“Eighteen days and we’ll try to make a good decision each day,” Shafer said. “We’re going to be smart with him, like the Brisly (Estime) situation, take what it takes to get it right.”

Estime wasn’t at practice for the 25 minutes the media saw on Monday morning, and Shafer discussed taking time with him as well.

Crume, Sloan return to drills

Nose tackle Eric Crume and defensive tackle Ryan Sloan were participating in drills for the 25 minutes of open practice, after working on the side last week and not suiting up for FanFest.

Crume has been working back from offseason knee surgery and Sloan has been bothered by an arm injury, and Shafer said that “they are getting closer.” 

With both players being seniors, Shafer said that “it’s easier to manage somebody that you’ve played and you know his threshold for pain.” He added that Crume’s threshold for pain is high and that the team is testing him daily and monitoring his quad strength. 

Shafer also predicted that Sloan could see the field before Crume. 

“I’ve been really really pleased with (Sloan’s) work ethic to get back,” the head coach said. “I can’t give a date on those two guys. I think Ryan will probably be in the mix a little quicker than Eric.”

No timetable for Edouard’s arrival

Freshman quarterback Alin Edouard has still not arrived at training camp, after leaving the team prior to camp’s start due to “family issues” back in Florida.

Edouard, along with A.J. Long, is one of two quarterbacks in the Orange’s newest class, and Shafer didn’t have an exact idea of when he’ll join the team.

Said Shafer: “Basically when he says it’s right we’ll bring him back.”