Campus Issues

Rodgers: College students have power to be leaders in social movements

The death of unarmed Missouri teenager Michael Brown has raised a host of critical questions and thought-provoking discussions across the country and around the world.  Brown, 18, was shot 6 times by a Ferguson, Missouri police officer, Darren Wilson on Aug. 9. Since then, protests have been ongoing in Ferguson.

As college students, we hold a unique power to be the leaders behind social movements. A college campus can be the breeding ground for the necessary changes our nation needs, a place where prejudices, misconceptions and negative attitudes can be challenged. This is especially important in a time when activism often occurs online, rather than in person.

A range of silent protests, rallies and discussions have been held on campuses across the country, including right here at SU. Students  gathered on the steps of Hendricks Chapel the first day of classes to take the symbolic #HandsUpDontShoot photo, and discuss a plan of action.

Social media has erupted over the past few weeks with trending topics related to the case. The hashtag #HandsUpDontShoot shows images of large crowds of students with their hands up in a surrender-like stance. 

Many of these images began on college campuses such as Howard University and Spelman College and are now spreading like wildfire with more rallies  being held as students across the country return for another academic year. This trend is history repeating itself, as some of the most revolutionary moments in time were sparked by college students on their own campuses. Consider the Civil Rights Movement in the United States, occurring primarily during the 1960s. It was college students that organized and participated in lunch counter sit-ins in protest of segregated restaurants. The same principles can be applied in the wake of Brown’s death, to ensure that his family sees a fair trial .

Many people have sounded off on social media, voicing concerns that creating trending topics on social media are not effective in truly igniting change. This would be true if college students were remaining apathetic on college campuses. The act of coming together for #HandsUpDontShoot pictures and discussions brings activism to real life and not just behind a screen. The only way we will fail as a generation is if we do not continuously and adamantly stand against civil injustices. It is up to us to challenge ourselves, our classmates, our professors and even our administrators to speak out on pertinent national issues. 

The images captured of protests in Ferguson, New York City and other cities across the country almost seem unreal. Although the death of Michael Brown may have occurred miles and miles away from Syracuse, the irrational fear this nation has of other ethnicities and cultures transpires across many geographic borders. At a time of civil unrest and emotions running high for many Americans, college campuses can play an active role by not only spreading awareness, but by actively standing against injustices. 

Nina Rodgers is a junior sociology major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].