Editorial Board

SU should continue to improve dorm security

It was a good decision for Syracuse University to review the necessity of 24-hour check-in at Brewster, Boland and Brockway halls, as it is better utilizing university resources. However, dorm safety should continue to be a priority throughout all residence halls. 

This summer, the Office of Residence Life and the Office of Housing, Meal Plan and I.D. Card Services made the decision to end 24-hour check-in after meeting with the Department Public Safety during the summer.

The office found that BBB did not have any more activity during the day than other residence halls on campus. Another factor in the decision was that the areas surrounding BBB are now more populated with parking garages and the law building. Cameras also now monitor the building’s main entries.

Re-evaluating where employees are needed was a smart decision on SU’s part. Having excess staffing is not efficient and security officers can be better utilized in other parts of campus. 

In addition to updating BBB security protocol, SU should continue to update security measures at all of the dorms on campus. Continuing to improve students’ safety in all residence halls should remain a high priority. The 24-hour check-in prevented potentially dangerous people from coming into students’ dorms during the day. Though BBB is on the edge of campus, so are residence halls such as Shaw, Ernie Davis and Sadler. If someone can enter BBB during the day unnoticed, they can do so at any residence hall — or any campus building

SU should continue to review the security procedures on campus, which will save money and ensure employees are being efficiently utilized. But while reviewing what services are no longer necessary, student safety should continue to be as carefully examined.