Crime

All charges dropped against two former SA members charged in campus graffiti case

Sam Maller I Staff Photographer

Smith Hall was one of several Syracuse University buildings spray-painted with cryptic messages during a graffiti spree last December.

Two former Student Association members will no longer face felony charges for spray-painting anti-university messages on several Syracuse University buildings if they are able to stay out of trouble for six months.

Sawyer Cresap, former chair of SA’s Student Engagement Committee, and former recorder Nick Bonafilia were both charged with criminal mischief in the second degree and the misdemeanor of making graffiti. Last December, the pair spray-painted cryptic messages such as “$57,000 to take your finals” outside of Eggers Hall and “#1 in communication, last in free speech” on the side of Newhouse III. The vandalism caused more than $5,700 in damage.

At a hearing Thursday afternoon, Joe Gorgoni, Cresap’s lawyer, said she had completed more than 200 hours of community service for organizations including Habitat for Humanity and ReStore and also wrote a letter of apology. Because she “did everything she was supposed to,” her charges will most likely be dropped at the case’s adjournment in six months.

Cresap and Bonafilia were both absent from the hearing because they didn’t have to attend, said Ken Christopher, Bonafilia’s lawyer. Gorgoni did not return a phone call and when reached Thursday, Cresap said she did not want to comment.

Christopher said Bonafilia will see the same outcome if he “has no issues” in the next six months. He completed 237 hours of “research-based” community service with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the Vera House and several other non-profit organizations and also wrote a letter of apology. Bonafilia also paid back more than $4,000, Christopher said.

Bonafilia did not return a phone call, but Christopher said Bonafilia hopes to re-enroll at SU “when the time is right.”

After the trial, Christopher added that both Cresap and Bonafilia’s letters of apology may become publicly available if SU decides to release them. A few hours later, Christopher emailed The Daily Orange a copy of Bonafilia’s letter of apology.

In the letter, which was addressed to the SU community, Bonafilia expressed his “deep regret” and said “mistakes of this nature will not be made in the future.” The letter reads in part:

“The graffiti was a bad idea that escalated so quickly, that I foolishly didn’t take the time to reflect on the decision that I was about to make, or the potential legal or administrative repercussions, until it was too late. However, this was not only a bad idea; the graffiti was an insult to everyone who is a part of the Syracuse University community, including students, faculty, staff, and local residents. The act was an exposition of disrespect for the community, and unfairly cost students their tuition dollars, Syracuse residents their tax dollars, workers their time and energy, as well as put unnecessary burden on the administrative and legal systems. As someone who has spent years working with administration to improve the student and Syracuse communities, this sits deeply with me. I apologize for my foolish and selfish actions.”