Student Association

Assembly listens to reports on Fast Forward initiative, upcoming campus events

Student Association President Boris Gresely caught the attention of assembly members when he called Syracuse University students “shareholders” in the institution.

“We have a very important role in this university and our voices should be heard,” Gresely said.

Student inclusion and input for potential change at SU has been a popular topic of discussion at SA meetings and a major goal of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s Fast Forward Syracuse strategic plan. The plan encompasses changes to the university’s academics, efficiency and infrastructure.

At SA’s meeting on Monday evening in Maxwell Auditorium, assembly members also heard reports about SA’s involvement with Fast Forward Syracuse, upcoming campus events and the work of the SU/SUNY-ESF chapter of the New York Public Interest Research Group.

SA representative Paulina Colon and Gresely recently had a meeting with the Undergraduate Excellence Working Group, which is one of nine steering committees working to implement the Fast Forward Syracuse initiative. Gresely discussed the results of that meeting with the assembly Monday night.

Gresely also asked rhetorical questions about SU’s future and stressed the importance of students communicating with administrators to make the university a better learning environment. It is up to students to decide where the university should head and help administrators figure out how to get there, Gresely said.

Student input to administration can be achieved in part through upcoming surveys and focus groups. The surveys will be conducted by Bain Co., the management consulting firm which is assisting SU in the creation and implementation of Fast Forward Syracuse.

Gresely also discussed the Student Affairs Summit, which will unite student leaders from different organizations in one place next semester. Gresely called the summit members a “task force” which will work with administrators to incorporate students’ wants and needs into the strategic plan. The Student Affairs Summit is a vital method of getting students to vocalize issues, Gresely said.

In addition, a representative for NYPIRG described the organization to new assembly members and announced upcoming events that the group will be running. NYPIRG focuses on student advocacy by raising awareness and campaigning for consumer protection, sustainability and outreach to the hungry and homeless. The organization offers credited internships for students who want to learn skills to become public advocates and how to be grassroots organizers.

Every Monday, NYPIRG members clog New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s phone lines and ask his staff to ban fracking in New York and focus on renewable energy. On Wednesday at 6:30 p.m., NYPIRG is hosting a training session on handling small claims for consumer protection in its office on the second floor of 732 S. Crouse Avenue.