Culture

Drama students to perform ‘Matt and Ben’ on Syracuse Stage

Before “Good Will Hunting,” they were just Matt and Ben.

Syracuse University students will put on a performance of the two-person comedy play “Matt and Ben” from Sept. 25–27 at the Syracuse Stage. Two women, Carol Foose and Jesse Roth, will play the two male leads, just as the playwrights — actress Mindy Kaling and her friend Brenda Withers — had intended it.

“Matt and Ben” focuses on the relationship of actors and best friends Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. In the show, Damon and Affleck brainstorm ideas for a movie, when the script of “Good Will Hunting” falls from the sky. Suddenly their friendship is put to the test as they try to agree on what to do with this new script.

“The best part of the show is the dynamic between Matt and Ben as they’re fighting over this script,” said Lauren Jackson, the show’s stage manager and sophomore stage management major. “It’s what makes it really funny.”

Kaitlyn Leonard, the assistant manager of “Matt and Ben,” said having two women playing two men is ironic, but Roth and Foose adopted the mannerisms of Damon and Affleck with ease.

“Seeing two girls play two guys is very different, but when (Carol and Jesse) started performing they really brought something to both the comedic and sentimental moments of the show,” said Leonard, a freshman theater management major.

“Matt and Ben” is an independent production funded solely by the students, with a small cast and crew of about 10 people. Foose and Roth will play Damon and Affleck, respectively, and said they worked hard to get this entirely student-run project off the ground.

As senior acting majors, the duo wanted to create one project entirely on their own before they graduated. When the idea of starting “Matt and Ben” was fleshed out, Foose and Roth arrived on campus one week before move-in day to start what became a month-long project. The set design, stage managing and funding was all up to the students involved.

“It’s not a huge musical. It’s a student-run show that really proves students on campus can do anything,” Leonard said. “We can put together a professional show and we’re not even professionals.”

The cast and crew sold old copies of plays, made baked goods and held a silent auction to raise funds. At the silent auction, students could try to out bid each other for things such as one-on-one sessions with drama teachers, a costume designed by a costume design student or a makeover from makeup artists before a party.

On top of funding, the show also required independent advertising. The cast could not advertise on campus because the show is not affiliated with the university, so they created a Facebook page and invited their classmates and faculty to join the event.

Roth believes the show is much more than just two girls playing boys, and hopes that isn’t all the audience thinks about when watching.

“This show is perfect for everyone who loves ‘Good Will Hunting.’ It is two actors we know very well, and it’s a modern comedy filled with pop culture references to the ‘90s and late ‘80s, which everyone loves,” she said. “And it’s hilarious!”

On top of the comedy aspect of the show, Foose said her favorite part is the testament to friendship that she feels is the underlying message of the show.

The cast is incredibly excited to be able to share this comedy with their audience.

“We worked really hard to put this together and it’s refreshing to prove that if you work hard you will succeed,” Foose said. “It’s really funny and will provide anyone who goes to see it with laughter, and the healing power laughter has is really powerful.”