Fast reaction: 3 keys to Syracuse’s 34-20 loss to Maryland

Spencer Bodian | Staff Photographer

Terrel Hunt looks for a receiver in Syracuse's 34-20 loss to Maryland. Hunt was not as sharp as he was against Central Michigan, and it showed in the team's results.

Syracuse lost its first game of the season on Saturday, falling to Maryland 34-20 in the Carrier Dome. Here’s a quick snapshot of why.

Missed Communication

Terrel Hunt turned back just a bit early, he said.

He didn’t get the full play call from the sideline. And when Hunt threw a pass where Adrian Flemming wasn’t and Maryland’s William Likely was, it bit Syracuse. Likely’s ensuing 88-yard interception return for a touchdown gave the Terrapins a 31-13 lead after the extra point.

It was just the Orange’s first turnover of the year, but it killed a second-quarter Syracuse drive that had reached the red zone. The chance to draw within four points of Maryland’s lead suddenly became an 18-point deficit.

Picked on

Syracuse dropped a number of passes — on both offense and defense.

Cornerback Brandon Reddish had an interception ripped from his hands by UMD receiver Marcus Leak, who hauled in a long 46-yard reception and set the Terrapins up for points in the red zone.

Safety Darius Kelly also got his hands on a would-be interception and nose tackle Eric Crume was in prime position for one as well, but it fell through his hands.

The Orange’s offense had difficulty finishing its drives anyway, but turnover could have been the spark Syracuse and the Carrier Dome needed to get back in the game.

Not-so special teams

Scott Shafer had a decision with the ball inside Maryland’s 10-yard line, five seconds left in the half and a 31-13 deficit— kick a field goaland take three points to go into the half down by 15, or go for the end zone and try to make it an 11-point game.

He went for the former. And Ryan Norton missed the 25-yarder, capping an ugly first half and ensuring Syracuse headed into the locker room with little to feel good about.

The special teams woes had struck earlier in the second quarter, when Maryland’s punt-block unit burst through the Orange’s line and deflected Riley Dixon’s punt.

Maryland set up camp at the 28-yard line and marched into the end zone four plays later to go up 24-13.