Freshman receiver Ishmael surfaces as starting receiver on Syracuse depth chart

Freshman wideout Steve Ishmael leapfrogged senior Jarrod West on the team’s latest depth chart after catching two passes for 13 yards in Syracuse’s 27-26 win over Villanova.

The depth chart was released Tuesday ahead of the Orange’s trip to Central Michigan this weekend and puts Ishmael alongside senior Adrian Flemming as the top two receivers.

West hauled in five passes for 59 yards and was SU’s leading receiver against the Wildcats, which means he probably won’t see a significant dip in touches against the Chippewas. But Ishmael’s ascension to the top of the depth chart hints that his involvement could increase in the coming weeks.

Aside from Ishmael, Flemming and West, Ben Lewis is behind Flemming on the depth chart and junior Ashton Broyld is ahead of sophomore Brisly Estime at H-back.

Winfield replaces Dowels as 4th cornerback

Corey Winfield entered training camp as a wide receiver before switching to cornerback for a better chance to see the field. He didn’t make the two-deep depth chart before Syracuse played Villanova, but replaced freshman Juwan Dowels in Tuesday’s depth chart.

Senior Brandon Reddish and junior Julian Whigham remained the team’s starting cornerbacks, with Winfield behind Reddish and junior Wayne Morgan behind Whigham.

Villanova collected 12.4 yards per completion in Week 1 as the Syracuse secondary was largely inconsistent in coverage.