Hanna Strong Video

Hanna Strong, Syracuse women’s soccer player, uses derogatory language in video, has been suspended indefinitely from team

Luke Rafferty | Staff Photographer

Syracuse women's soccer player Hanna Strong was videotaped using racial and homophobic slurs and has been indefinitely suspended from the team. This photo was taken during the 2012 women's soccer season.

Hanna Strong, a senior midfielder on the Syracuse women’s soccer team, was videotaped calling another person a f*ggot-a** n*ggerin a video that was posted on Instagram and later on blacksportsonline.com on Saturday.

A student who witnessed Strong’s outburst confirmed that it was her in the video.

Strong has been suspended indefinitely from the team by head coach Phil Wheddon, according to a release from Director of Athletics Daryl Gross, who also said an investigation will follow.

“We are aware of the offensive comments made last night by a member of the women’s soccer team,” Gross said in the statement. “This type of intolerant and hurtful language, focused on both race and sexual orientation, is not part of the culture we seek to foster among our student-athletes and it has no place at Syracuse University.”

The video starts with Strong approaching an unidentified person holding the camera, instructing him or her not to record the video.

Call me out on saying the N word, I dont give a sh*t,Strong said after her tirade.

Strong has played in all five of SUs games this season, but has yet to record a shot. She missed all of last season due to injury but was on the Athletic Directors Honor Roll for both semesters.

Said Gross: “Syracuse Athletics, as a strong and diverse part of this University community, has zero tolerance for these actions.”