Culture

Human Rights Film Festival features 5 social justice films

Behind every social movement is a story worth telling.

The Syracuse Human Rights Film Festival took place Thursday through Saturday. It featured five films: “Through a Lens Darkly: Black Photographers and the Emergence of a People,” “Lakshmi,” “American Vagabond,” “Return to Homs” and “The Missing Picture.”

Every year the co-directors of the festival, Roger Hallas and Tula Goenka, undertake a lengthy preparation process to select the films. The directors start looking for films in the beginning of the year, as many human rights films and documentaries about social issues premier at the Sundance Film Festival and the Berlin International Film Festival.

Hallas, a professor of English and textual studies, said the co-directors wanted to display a diverse selection of films this year — a mixture of documentary and fiction films, films from different countries and films that cover a variety of social issues.

“We want to speak to many different audiences on campus and the community, and speak to different departments and programs,” Hallas said.

A film that brought audience members to tears, “Lakshmi,” directed by Nagesh Kukunoor, follows a 14-year-old girl in India who is kidnapped and forced to work in a brothel. Although a fictional piece, the film is inspired by a true story and the sex-trafficking epidemic in India.

Kukunoor attended the screening of his film and answered questions from the audience in the theater.

“There should be more films like these,” said Quameiha Raymond-Ducheine, a junior television, radio and film major. “I want to challenge people to support films like these. I do believe film can bring about change.”

In addition to directing the film, Kukunoor played the villain, Chinna. He said he has received strong negative responses from audience members at other screenings once they make this realization.

“Until I heard these women’s stories, I always believed human beings were good,” Kukunoor said as he explained how he created the villain of the movie. “At some level — this was more from a filmmaker’s point of view — it’s no fun to write a black and white character.”

During the question and answer period, an audience member asked Kukunoor what else he does to support the social issues brought up in his films.

“The best service I can do is tell the story,” Kukunoor said. “I don’t have the courage in me to do what the social workers do. They’re the true heroes.”

“American Vagabond” follows a gay youth who ran away to San Francisco because his family rejected him for his sexuality. Navigating the struggles of homelessness, discrimination and the criminal justice system, the main character, James, battles oppression. After the film, there was a Skype question and answer session with the film’s director, Susanna Helke.

“This is a topic that had been haunting me for a really long time,” Helke said of homelessness among queer youth.

“Return to Homs” followed two friends during the Syrian Revolution who ultimately join the rebels defending Homs. Directed by Talal Derki, the documentary won the Grand Jury Prize for World Documentary at the Sundance Film Festival.

“The Missing Picture” recorded Rithy Panh’s journey to recreate his forgotten memories from when the Khmer Rouge ruled Cambodia from 1975 to 1979.

“Through a Lense Darkly: Black Photographers and the Emergence of a People,” which was screened Thursday night, was more topical and did not follow a central character. The film documented how black photographers have used their profession to catalyze social change.

Overall, the co-directors viewed the festival as a success. They said they were happy to see the large audiences at each of the screenings.

Said Hallas: “We believe the festival has the capacity to offer deep, rich and powerful discussions on some of the most important issues of our day.”