Meet Monday

Meet Monday: Kalvin Peary

Genevieve Pilch | Staff Photographer

Kalvin Peary, a freshman marketing major, has booked major music artists for festivals, concerts and tours, including Snoop Dogg, Childish Gambino and T-Pain.

Snoop Dogg and Childish Gambino.

These are just a few artists that Kalvin Peary has booked in shows throughout his career of promoting artists and organizing concerts.

From independent shows at clubs, to small concerts, festivals and tours, the freshman management major has booked more than 60 music shows.

One of his projects in his hometown of Los Angeles included creating a tour with the company CLASSCFIED LLC. The tour visited high schools in the area and aimed to promote up-and-coming local artists. Artists who participated in the tour included AV LMKR, Eric Bellinger and Mindless Behavior.

Networking to find artists is difficult, but living in a city like LA is advantageous, Peary said.

“LA is so big, yet it’s so small. Everyone knows each other,” Peary said.

Although Peary is working toward becoming a successful promoter, the journey he is taking to his dream job hasn’t come without its challenges.

Peary spent two years planning his biggest project yet — The Hullabaloo Passion Music & Arts Festival. He was able to book several big names for the festival, including Snoop Dogg, Chance the Rapper, Childish Gambino and T-Pain.

However, when Jay Z brought his Made in America Tour to LA for the first time last summer, Peary had to cancel the festival. The Made in America Tour was too big for Peary’s show to compete with in terms of ticket sales. Peary lost the time and effort he invested into planning the show, and also lost the money he put down to plan it.

“I put so much blood, sweat and tears into that, and it didn’t happen,” Peary said. “It’s a learning experience.”

Despite the setback he faced earlier this year, Peary plans on continuing to pursue music promoting, possibly by getting involved in University Union or even by organizing his own shows in Syracuse.

Peary advises other students working toward a goal to never give up.

“Just keep going. It’s not going to be easy,” Peary said. “I’m not some super successful dude, but I’m trying to become that. Don’t get discouraged.”

Correction: In the Sept. 22 article “Meet Monday: Kalvin Peary,” Snoop Dogg’s name was misspelled. The Daily Orange regrets this error.