Editorial Board

MetLife relationship should continue

In order to gain national recognition for its football team, Syracuse University should continue its relationship with MetLife Stadium — the home of the New York Giants and New York Jets. 

Although all students and local Syracuse residents might not have had the opportunity to attend the game against Notre Dame in East Rutherford, New Jersey, on Saturday, the pros of playing a game outside of Syracuse outweighed the cons.

This weekend’s game against Notre Dame was one of three high-profile games SU has played at MetLife Stadium in the past three years. Though the Syracuse football team lost on Saturday, the opportunity to play at MetLife Stadium has brought SU Athletics more revenue and has also provided recruiting benefits.

Playing football games at MetLife Stadium has brought SU the opportunity to play against premier teams that it would not have been able to play at the Carrier Dome, including Southern California, Penn State and most recently Notre Dame. Games at MetLife Stadium have also given alumni and potential recruits in the New York City and New Jersey area the chance to attend SU football games without traveling far from home.

Currently, SU does not have plans to play in MetLife Stadium until 2016, against Notre Dame again, but the Orange will square off with Louisiana State University in the Carrier Dome in 2015. Before Syracuse joined the Atlantic Coast Conference, it was uncommon for ranked teams to visit the Carrier Dome. Now teams like Clemson and Florida State will regularly visit central New York, and maintaining a relationship with MetLife Stadium will only strengthen future football schedules.

Though some students and local residents might feel they missed out on one of the biggest home games of the season, hosting high-profile games at MetLife Stadium will pay off for the program in the long run. To continue on the path to national recognition, SU should continue to aim to have games at the NFL venue.