New lease on life: Pulp’s off-campus housing guide

Want to ditch the dorms? If you want good off-campus housing, you have to start making arrangements now. There are a lot of landlords renting out apartments and houses in the university neighborhood, all of which have different policies regarding rent, utilities, cable and more. Pulp compares three landlords so you can know what to look for when you’re ready to sign the lease.

rent

University Village Apartments on Colvin — Emmanuel Fasuyi, Leasing & Marketing Manager:
Four-bedroom / four-bathroom
12-month lease: $1,039 per-person per-month
10-month lease: $1,079 per-person per-month

Two-bedroom / two-bathroom
12-month lease: $1,219 per-person per-month
10-month lease: $1,299 per-person per-month

Cuse Real Estate — Cheryl Sardella:
One-bedroom: High $830, low $600 including all utilities
Multi-unit: High $700, average $575, low $495

Ben Tupper
High: $650 per month
Average: $525
Low: $425

utilities

UV Apartments:
“For the four-bedroom, we give them $160 electricity allowance for each person, and then for the two-bedroom, it’s a $100 allowance for each person. Generally nobody goes over that, so that includes your electricity, water, sewage, gas.”

Cuse Real Estate:
“All of my one bedrooms include all utilities, three quarters of my two bedrooms include all utilities, in fact, I only have two that are plus utilities. Everything over three bedrooms, you know complete houses, are all plus utilities.”

Tupper:
“The average — and again all this stuff is averages — it can vary depending a lot of variables, but a safe number I tell students to budget for is like $45 a person a month, for a year-round average.”

cable and internet 

UV Apartments:
“It also includes your cable with HBO and high-speed Internet.”

Cuse Real Estate:
“All the houses are wired for cable and Internet but the cost is the responsibility of the tenants.”

Tupper:
“Cable and Internet, I have no relationship with. Tenants can choose whatever provider they want and get whatever services they want.”

subletting

UV Apartments:
 “As long as they are approved — the person that is looking to sublet — what we do is just we take the person that is looking to get out of the lease and the other person will have their own individual lease.”

Cuse Real Estate:
 “It’s a one-page document that all parties concerned have to sign, including if they have roommates.”

Tupper:
“I allow subletting because under New York State Law tenants have a right to sublet, so I am in no position to tell people no.”

snow removal

UV Apartments:
“We have a private contract that when snow comes they ride around periodically and they remove all the snow.”

Cuse Real Estate:
“Yes, yes. Can I ask you a question? Are there landlords that actually say no to that?”

Tupper:
“I’m really proud to say that I have a full-time guy who works just for me. He plows just for me.”

parking
UV Apartments:
“Parking is free as well and it also includes all the amenities that our clubhouse has to offer as well.”

Cuse Real Estate:
“Individual houses or multiple-unit houses almost all of them have parking, I only have two houses that have on-the-street parking only.”

Tupper:
“Every house is different. Some of my houses have more parking than people and some of my houses have more cars than parking.”

washer and dryer
UV Apartments:
“Washer and dryer is in each apartment. It’s free to use.”

Cuse Real Estate:
“In the single house it’s free laundry and multiple-unit houses are coin operated.”

Tupper:
“Every basement has a washer and dryer in it.”

–Illustrations by Tony Chao | Art Director