Novel by SU alumni in works to become motion picture

Sometimes all it takes is knowing the right person to get an idea off the ground.

Two former Syracuse University alumni published “The Fix,” a novel about football and gambling on a college campus in January. The book is now in the beginning stages of becoming a motion picture.

Michael Balkind and Ryan Burr said their novel is based on student life at SU. As alumni, the co-authors found it easy to write about their own experiences and observations during their college years.

Burr, who graduated in 1994 as a broadcast and digital journalism major, now works as a sports television journalist for NBC Sports and the Golf Channel, and hosted the 2014 Winter Olympics for NBC. Burr said he always aspired to pursue writing, but was busy with his career.

It wasn’t until Balkind, who graduated from SU in 1983 with a degree in economics, approached Burr in his search for alumni to help promote his first novel, “Sudden Death,” that the two became acquainted. This initial contact gave Burr the opportunity to pitch Balkind his idea.

“Writing about Syracuse University came naturally because as an alumni, I still bleed Orange,” Balkind said.

The concept of “The Fix” came to Burr on a 10-hour drive from Toledo, Ohio to Washington, D.C. The book discusses how greed and the yearning for money can cause a person to spiral out of control and lose sight of their dreams. Balkind said that he “immediately fell in love with the pitch and was truly inspired by the overall idea.”

With Balkind writing and Burr sharing his ideas and giving critiques, the two were able to complete the first manuscript within three months. From there, the novel was handed off to Balkind’s publishers for editing.
“This novel wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for the extensive alumni base that Syracuse University offers,” Burr said.

“The Fix” has attracted attention and praise from critics. It became a finalist in the 2014 International Book awards, along with Balkind’s novel, “Gold Medal Threat.”

Bestselling authors such as James Patterson, Clive Cussler, John Feinstein and SU alumnus Tim Green have also endorsed “The Fix,” in addition to Balkind’s other three novels.

As a writer, Balkind said the best way to write a novel is to just start writing. Inspiration will eventually strike the author.

“When it comes to writing a novel, don’t worry about how to do it,” Balkind said. “Sit down and start writing, and around chapter two or so, it starts to write itself.”