Editorial Board

#SaveCuse video embarrasses university

The #SaveCuse video is an embarrassment to Syracuse University. It highlights the ignorance and entitlement of SU students, and it shows an inability to see beyond trivial, immature issues. Students in favor of #SaveCuse need to get past their misconceptions that the university owes them the right to party and focus on real issues instead.

When Campus Hill sent an email barring its residents from hosting large parties in the parking lot of Castle Court, students blamed Chancellor Kent Syverud. Though in actuality, the university had reached out to Campus Hill with concerns back in 2013, some students felt the crackdown on parties was a direct result of Syverud’s Aug. 5 email disapproving of SU’s No. 1 party school ranking.

This year’s DPS crime logs show that the average number of tickets and arrests within the past two weeks is consistent with the average from the last five years.

But even if the university was increasing its vigilance on parties, it has every right to do so. Underage drinking is illegal and it’s not SU’s job to make it easy for students to party. Students who disagree with that are missing the entire point of going to college — which is to get an education.

This fight to preserve the right to party is the problem that so many saw in our No. 1 party school ranking. It highlights the students whose main concern is partying, and shows that some students really think that Castle Court is the crown jewel of the university.

The #SaveCuse video captured every negative connotation associated with being a No. 1 party school and packaged it into a three and a half minute video. It’s what you would expect from a school ranked first in partying.

SU’s student body has real problems that need to be addressed. There are issues of racism and homophobia, there is still confusion and unhappiness over the fate of the Advocacy Center — and yet, there are still students vocalizing concerns over where they can tailgate before the next football game.

The university doesn’t need to be saved. What it needs is students who have their priorities straight and who are here to do more than embody our infamous ranking.