Shafer: Robinson, Palmer practicing, could be in the mix against Central Michigan

Syracuse was without offensive guards Nick Robinson and Omari Palmer in its Week 1 win over Villanova, and SU head coach Scott Shafer said Tuesday that both players are active and working back into the mix ahead of Syracuse’s (1-0) game at Central Michigan (2-0) at noon on Saturday.

“They’re practicing now and I’m looking forward to how things go in today’s practice,” Shafer said on his weekly teleconference. “They’re both active right now. We’re going to give them a chance to put the pads on today and play some football.”

Against the Wildcats, Rob Trudo started at left guard and Michael Lasker at right guard — Lasker is listed as a tackle on SU’s depth chart but slid inside due to Palmer’s knee injury. Robinson has been working back from a foot injury since the middle of training camp and both injuries have muddied the Orange’s offensive line picture.

Trudo started at left guard all last season and Robinson started at right guard. Palmer and Lasker made pushes for starting spots during this training camp and injuries have delayed tangible decisions by Shafer and offensive line coach Joe Adam.

If all of Robinson, Palmer, Trudo and Lasker are good to go, it’ll be time to sift through the options.

“All four of those guys you mentioned are ready to go,” Shafer said. “We’ll see who gives us the best chance to be competitive for Saturday as we get through the week of practice.”