Volleyball

Syracuse freshman walk-on Sand makes strides at libero as Orange splits doubleheader

In her team’s first game of the day on Sunday, senior defensive specialist Melina Violas didn’t get off the bench. Sick with the flu, she didn’t even make it to the second game.

In her place, walk-on freshman Belle Sand stepped in at libero after making the first start of her career on Saturday.

Sand recorded 24 digs against Colgate (5-4) and Cornell (3-6) combined, directing the defense as SU (7-5) fell to the Raiders 3-2 and beat the Big Red 3-1 in the Women’s Building. After losing her focus against Colage, Sand recovered against Cornell to keep her team in its system for the entirety of the match.

Head coach Leonid Yelin wanted to give Sand a break in the second game by playing Violas, but her illness worsened and Yelin sent her home. Sand started for Saturday’s win against Albany, but split time with Violas. Against Cornell, Sand played the entire game.

“We wanted to give her … (an) opportunity to see how she’s going to do as a starter,” Yelin said.

It’s the libero’s job to keep the team in its system, something Yelin has been focusing on in recent weeks. Ideally, off an opponent’s hit, the libero will dig the ball to the setter, who will set a hitter for a kill.

In the second set against Cornell, Sand regularly kept the Orange in its system by digging the ball cleanly to setter Gosia Wlaszczuk. Three out of six points late in the set were set up by Sand’s digs, which helped SU pull away.

“I feel much confidence (for Sand) because when she was in preseason,” said middle blocker Monika Salkute, who had a game- and career-high 20 kills. “She was a little bit shy and then she stepped up and showed what she can do best.

But Yelin and Sand agree that the freshman needs to gain confidence in order to improve her play. The only way she will, Yelin said, is by playing more and gaining experience, which is the reason Sand was going to get more playing time this weekend whether Violas could play or not.

“I wouldn’t say we were preparing her to switch with (Violas) and be our starting libero,” Yelin said. “But we were giving her and (freshman Dana Crispi) an opportunity to play in the back row.”

Yelin wouldn’t say who would be the permanent starting libero, only that he wants a “great” one.

And this weekend, Yelin, Salkute, and middle blocker Leah Levert were all pleased with Sand’s play.

“I trust her. I know what kind of person she is on and off the court and I think her personality uplifts everyone,” Levert said.

Sand is pleased with her play and her progress as well, as going from a walk-on who didn’t play in her team’s first five matches to starting this weekend.

But as all Orange players and coaches have attested to, tournament play is long and tough. Sand was ready for the transition, but seemed happily surprised about the workload. Twelve sets in less than 36 hours took a toll on her.

“It’s showing my hard work is paying off, the players are trusting me and coach is trusting me,” Sand said. “I’m a lot more tired.”