Men's soccer

Syracuse soccer prepares to host defending national champion Notre Dame, continue strong start to season

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

Syracuse hasn’t allowed a goal this season and will host the No. 4 Fighting Irish as the two sides open Atlantic Coast Conference play at 7 p.m. on Saturday at SU Soccer Stadium.

After winning the 2013 national championship, Notre Dame went 16 games without a regulation loss before Monday’s matchup with Kentucky — a streak stretching from Oct. 26, 2013 to Sept. 8.

A 90th-minute goal from Wildcats’ freshman forward Stefan Stojkovic sent Notre Dame to its first defeat in almost a year. Now a No. 20 Syracuse (4-0) team that hasn’t allowed a goal this season will host the No. 4 Fighting Irish (2-1-1) as the two sides open Atlantic Coast Conference play at 7 p.m. on Saturday at SU Soccer Stadium.

After a 3-0 drubbing of Syracuse in 2013, Notre Dame comes into the 2014 matchup on more even ground with an SU squad playing arguably its best soccer in the Ian McIntyre era.

“We’ve got a lot of confidence obviously, 4-0, four shutouts,” SU sophomore defender Louis Cross said. “We believe we can get a result if we really put in the effort.

“Notre Dame will know that they’ve got a tough game on their hands.”

The Orange came into last year’s tilt with the Fighting Irish at 3-1, but was shut out to fall to 0-2 in ACC play. The visitors dominated in that game, outshooting SU 17-4.

UND head coach Bobby Clark recalled that last year’s game wasn’t as lopsided as the score line indicated. With Syracuse coming in with yet another strong start to its campaign, Clark said his team is itching to get back on the field.

“Obviously there’s disappointment (from the Kentucky loss), but I think good teams react to setbacks,” Clark said. “I would imagine that the team will be wishing we were playing (Tuesday), not having to wait until Saturday.”

While Clark’s side is anxious to get back on the field after a stoppage-time loss, Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre is relishing his team’s six days off after two telling away victories against Rutgers and St. John’s this past weekend.

SU needs rest if it’ll be up to the task of contending with the Fighting Irish, McIntyre said.

“We’ve played a lot of soccer in a short period of time over the last week, hopefully recharge the batteries,” McIntyre said. “There’s no better program right now than Notre Dame obviously, with Coach Clark.

“For soccer fans in this part of the country, I’m sure they’re going to be excited to welcome the national champions to town.”

The attacking threat Clark had at his disposal in last year’s matchup is scaled down, he said. The departure of Harrison Shipp — a MAC Hermann Trophy Finalist and now a Chicago Fire forward — has left a hole up top that has yet to be filled.

“We’re not sure ourselves yet (of an attacking threat) because we’ve not scored enough goals yet,” Clark said. “Nobody’s really yet stepped up to fill (Shipp’s) shoes so that’s going to be a challenge. I hope maybe we discover that person when we come out to New York.”

For SU, McIntyre hasn’t had to worry about any departures from his defense — an area of struggle from last year’s game — but instead has welcomed the return of Tyler Hilliard and the addition of the transfer Cross, two players who didn’t partake in that 3-0 loss.

After being ranked nationally in four different polls on Monday and Tuesday, the Orange is at its highest point since joining the ACC.

The defending champions are well aware of the obstacle Syracuse presents, especially on the defensive end, and avoiding a two-game losing streak for the first time since November 2010 will be no easy task for the Fighting Irish.

“We’ve got a lot of respect for the Syracuse team. Playing them in Syracuse, they’re going to be a challenge for us,” Clark said. “Obviously, we know every ACC game is a challenge and Syracuse is certainly one.”