Thirsty Thursday

Thirsty Thursday: Milk Stout Nitro

Victoria Krog | Contributing Photographer

Left Hand Brewery’s Milk Stout Nitro beer is made with milk and smells like chocolate. The combination of flavors like toffee, malt and mocha creates a bitter taste.

Every coffee lover remembers experimenting with the drink for the first time. I remember desperately wanting to drink a cup of Joe in the mornings. As much as my 15-year-old self wanted to order a cup of coffee at Starbucks instead of my standard double chocolaty chip Frappuccino, I could not get on board with coffee’s distinct, bitter taste.

The Milk Stout Nitro by Left Hand Brewing Co. is the 21-year-old version of that same coming-of-age tale. The idea of drinking a beer made with milk is strangely appealing, but the final product produced in this unique brew did not come together quite as nicely as I had hoped.

The all black bottle label recommends a “hard pour” into a glass, which means turning the bottle completely upside down and not letting the liquid touch the side of the drinking vehicle. As I did this, a creamy head formed around the rim.

At the Guinness Storehouse Tour in Dublin, Ireland, they tell you that if you hold the famously dark stout up to the sun, the light shining through will reveal that the seemingly dark brown beer is actually red. Not this beer. Nitro is black all the way through. Who knew there was a beer darker than Guinness?

After pouring the Nitro, I took a quick sniff and was surprised by the smell of chocolate. My first sips revealed that my nose had not led me astray — what I was drinking tasted more like chocolate milk than beer. The rich, mocha notes struck me as very odd, and I must admit they induced a pucker-faced reaction as the flavors settled on my tongue.

The consistency was surprising as well — the viscosity was much higher than other beers, giving it a creamy texture in my mouth. As I continued drinking, I got hints of malt and toffee in addition to chocolate. The combination of the rich, roast-y flavors and the oddly thick texture made me question whether I was drinking milk, coffee or beer.

There was a slight bitterness that comes with the addition of hops, but they were largely overshadowed by the other full-bodied flavors. I was not at all a fan of the chalky Milk Stout Nitro, but hey, that’s why they have chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

As for me, I’ll be leaving the milk to the cookies.