22nd annual Syracuse Festival of Races features four road races at Manley

Kadijah Watkins | Staff Photographer

The Syracuse Festival of Races accomodates families with it’s four race format. Younger children got the chance to cross the finish lines during the 3K Fun & Fitness Run and the Tops Friendly Markets Community Walk.

For many people in Syracuse, this Sunday was anything but lazy.

Hundreds of people woke up early to congregate at the Manley Field House for the 22nd annual Syracuse Festival of Races. Some raced, walked and cheered as the day hosted both competitive races and community events for local nonprofit organizations.

Four races were held Sunday morning: the Bankers Healthcare Group INC. Men’s 5K, the MVP Health Care Women’s 5K, the 3K Fun & Fitness Run and the Tops Friendly Markets Community Walk.

“We have separate men’s and women’s 5Ks rather than having men, women, boys and girl lumped together, so we can be a full family event,” said Dave Oja, founder and director of the festival.

While the festival placed emphasis on the community and family, it remained a competitive venue, Oja said.

“This is the stand-out race on the Syracuse running calendar that attracts visitors who come to Syracuse just for the purpose of running a race,” Oja said.

The area surrounding Manley Field House was transformed for the event. A cool, clear day provided the setting for tents and tables to line Skytop Road. Nonprofits such as the Cpl. Kyle R. Schneider Freedom Team and the Learning Disabilities Association of Central New York raised funds as volunteers handed out free food and Starbucks coffee. Throughout the festival, Oja’s voice could be heard over the PA system, getting the crowd excited for the day’s events.

“It’s great to see you doing something really good for yourself on a beautiful day in central New York,” Oja said as people prepared to race.

Chris Robinson, who volunteered at the festival for the second consecutive year, said that racing isn’t the only highlight of the day.

“When people in the road running world think of Syracuse they automatically think of the Syracuse Festival of Races, and they associate the best with it,” Robinson said. “It’s not just the race — the accommodations are top quality, the food is top quality, the people are top quality. Everything is top-notch.”

At 8:50 a.m., the races began. More than 300 runners of all ages and skill levels gathered on East Colvin Street near Manley Field House by the starting line of the Bankers Healthcare Group INC. Men’s 5K.

Two of these racers were John Battistelli and Brendan McCauley, SU seniors and members of the running and triathlon clubs who have been running the race for four years.

Battistelli, a mechanical engineering major, said the Syracuse Festival of Races 5K is always a competitive event that pushes him to run his fastest times, but it’s not just the race that makes the event memorable.

“I like the race because the fastest 5Ks I’ve ever run are here because the course is so flat,” Battistelli said. “Aside from that, I think they put on a really good event with the post-race food and activities.”

Less than 15 minutes after the race began, the first runner had crossed the finish line. Joe Whelan, a former SU athlete, ran through archways of orange and blue balloons, down a path lined with colored flags, as spectators yelled and cheered.

As more runners completed the race, one constant voice was heard time and time again. It was Oja, shouting out each racer by name.

Oja’s passion for the event he founded two decades ago was evident, Robinson said.

“I can’t even describe how good of a job he does,” Robinson said. “And then to watch him as people come across the finish line — he’s commenting on every one of them.”

To Oja, the Syracuse Festival of Races has an effect beyond record setting 5K times. The act of running, either competitively or just for fun, provides great benefits, while the Syracuse Festival of Races provides the venue.

“Those people who train to run and run races improve their health. They improve their wellness, they improve their fitness,” Oja said. “And all that is very good for the individual, and of course, if it’s good for the individual, it’s good for the individual’s family and it’s good for the individual’s community.”