Fashion

Malliaros: Columnist reflects on Oscar de la Renta’s fashion influence

Many in the fashion world consider Oscar de la Renta a friend and an inspiration. He died last Monday at 82 years old from complications of cancer while surrounded by family and close friends.

Immediately after the late designer’s wife, Annette, confirmed the news of his passing, tributes to him poured in from designers, socialites and fans around the world. Each mourner emphasized the same traits of de la Renta: his taste, his kindness, his charm and his ability to make women look and feel beautiful — from his early days at Elizabeth Arden in the 1960s through the last three decades of the 20th century and well into the 21st.

As a fashion blogger and enthusiast, I was devastated upon hearing the news. I was studying when a text that read, “Are you sitting down? I have bad news,” interrupted me. Naturally, my heart ached. His vibrant Spring/Summer 2011 collection sprang back into my mind, as that was what made de la Renta one of my favorite designers.

Whether it was bridal, couture or ready-to-wear, his shows were spectacles and carried modern and vintage accents. He showed in his showroom — a detail unique nowadays. These things created lasting impressions in people’s minds and changed them from onlookers to de la Renta-obsessed fans.

No matter the season, a garden party theme always shined through. It didn’t matter to de la Renta that neutrals and normcore were in. He stuck with his theme and the glorious colors that worked for him. He aimed to stand out.

De la Renta remained resilient during his eight-year battle with cancer. According to Women’s Wear Daily, during that period of his life, de la Renta’s business grew by 50 percent, reaching $150 million in sales. His name became linked to anything involving a red carpet or celebrity event. Recently, his biggest accomplishment was to make an ivory tulle gown that Amal Alamuddin wore at her wedding to George Clooney in Venice.

He has been the ruler in two distinct territories: as a go-to designer for socialites and as a king of the red carpet. He dressed four American first ladies, but it was Hollywood glitz, rather than fancy uptown attire, that brought new customers his way. His brand is also very present on social media, which plays a role in defining a new age and keeping the brand relevant.

“There is much being said that his passing marks the end of an era,” Vogue’s Editor in Chief Anna Wintour told Women’s Wear Daily. “Not true. He was the most democratic man I knew, and he would have lived happily and defined any era.”

Not only was he impressive to his colleagues, he treated his co-workers exceptionally well. I was lucky enough to visit his New York showroom and each person I spoke with was so grateful for the opportunity to work alongside de la Renta. He treated them with respect and recognized that his business required teamwork and the talents of everyone in the offices, not just the jobs he was capable of doing. Those who worked closely with him described him as kind, optimistic and motivational.

When somebody like de la Renta lives a fabulous life in the spotlight, his presence will be something that’s noticed and truly missed. He was a friend of the arts, a boss to many passionate individuals and a star.

De la Renta lived and created the most thematic glamour there was and ever will be. No designer will surpass him in his realm of the fashion industry. There will never be a garden party as bright and chic as were his runway shows. The ideas will be redone, but lessened. He created many moments in time that are historic, and those who survive by him are allowed limitless pride while carrying on his name and wildly impressive legacy.

Zoe Malliaros is a sophomore advertising major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].