Dougherty: Clemson game gives Long chance to start solidifying spot

Margaret Lin | Photo Editor

AJ Long has played well in his first two games for Syracuse, amassing two passing and one rushing touchdowns against FSU and Wake Forest, respectively. And while he may be SU’s starter as a replacement now, a win at Clemson could establish in the position long term.

AJ Long has packed a lot of firsts into a two-week stretch and his next one could be the most important of them all.

His first college appearance yielded his first touchdown pass in a loss to then-No. 1 Florida State on Oct. 11. His first start brought his first touchdown run and collegiate win in Syracuses 30-7 blowout of Wake Forest last weekend.

Each injects a little more life into a team clawing out of early-season irrelevancy. And now Long has a chance to transform the guarded optimism that accompanies a true freshman into a more solidified spot.

SU (3-4, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) travels to No. 21 Clemson (5-2, 4-1) on Saturday, which will be Longs first real test as a starter and first opportunity to make a marquee victory his own.  A win against the Tigers looks a bit more attainable after their narrow 17-13 win over Boston College last week, and would push Long from Syracuses freshman quarterback to Syracuses quarterback.

“It’s a dream that I’ve accomplished,” Long said before the Wake Forest game. “At the same time, I know it’s not my team. I wouldn’t be in this situation had Terrel (Hunt) not got hurt.

So now it’s play as well as you possibly can and, hopefully, when this is over, it’s a competition and it’s not just you sit back on the end of the bench.”

Longs unflappable confidence as a quarterback makes him an enigmatic mix of mature and immature.

In the Oranges 18-point loss to the Seminoles two weeks ago, Long threw two touchdown passes to fellow freshman Steve Ishmael. The first ended a touchdown drought of more than 100 minutes for the Syracuse offense and together, the two scores were the most any Orange quarterback had thrown for in a single game all year.

He also threw two interceptions in the game, then stood in front of reporters and proclaimed that Syracuse football is backand that the Orange would go to an ACC championship in the next four years.

Why should we ever take it as a negative if hes doing what hes supposed to and he knows what hes supposed to do?said Ace Long, AJs father, of his sons confidence.

Its derived from an underdog mentality, which has Long turning his 6-foot frame into a strength and anyone doubting that into a positive influence. It surfaces in the way he escapes broken pockets to throw into tight spaces and when he smiles at doubts about his stature or play.

When he was a 5-foot-3 seventh-grader, he didnt know if Division I football was a feasible goal. But his friends and teammates called him the Jokerbecause he let out a high-pitched cackle whenever he made a good play.

As he grew into his frame in high school, there were more chances to laugh and more reasons to believe hed end up leading a big-conference offense.

After choosing SU he started rallying together the Class of 2014 one of the programs best in recent years and said he was gunning to be the starterwhen he arrived on campus last January.

That didnt sit well with Hunt, the incumbent starter. But as Hunt sits with a broken fibula, Longs opportunity grows every week.

Right now, hes our quarterback. He was really sharp with where he was going with the ball,offensive coordinator Tim Lester said after the Wake Forest win. Its only the second game, but were in a situation where if hes the guy thats out there, I expect him to play to our level.

The fact that Longs a stopgap replacement will hang over him until he proves to be more.

The win at Wake Forest didnt push him any closer or further away from doing so, but performing against Vic Beasley and Clemsons heralded defensive front could have a lasting effect.

If any SU quarterback is going to march into Death Valley and give the Orange a chance to win, its the one with 38 career completions and no reason to believe hell fail.

“I really hope that after this season that I’ll be able to push in a competition with Hunt,” Long said. ” … Everywhere you go, your job is to be the guy. There’s nowhere that you want to go and sit behind somebody, so that’s all I’m trying to do.”

He cant put himself in that position with one or two games, but a big game in Death Valley could go a long way.