From the Runway

Fashion design student explores passion through blog, internship

Five years ago, Leah Shkolnick attended Houston Fashion Week because Christian Siriano would be there, and she loved his designs. But she didn’t know that the next day it would lead her to an internship to work for him.

“I was with my mom, and we were sitting in random seats, and his business manager sits by us,” said Shkolnick, a Texas native. “We were just talking to her about how much we love (Siriano), and then she goes, ‘You seem like great people. Why don’t you come to Neiman’s tomorrow and meet him?’”

The senior fashion design major has since been interning with Siriano in New York City every summer and winter break. She has also worked during New York Fashion Week for six seasons in the past two years.

Shkolnick said that because she now has more knowledge and experience about the fashion industry, she has been given more tasks, such as making patterns and sewing flowers on ball gowns.

“It’s just a friendly environment and a really fun place to be able to go to over breaks,” Shkolnick said.

While Shkolnick was in high school, blogs started gaining more prominence in the fashion world, and sparked her interest in the industry. Shkolnick saw bloggers making careers out of their own designs and ideas and realized that her passion could potentially be her profession.

Shkolnick then started her own blog “85 Dresses,” which she named for the many dresses she owns but doesn’t always wear. These include vintage dresses that are elaborate, fragile or incredibly detailed, as well as more modern cocktail dresses.

“I have way too many dresses,” she said. “When my mom asks me why I buy all these things that I never wear, I tell her, ‘I dress for the life I want, and not the life I have.”

Shkolnick said her blog is a visual journal of what she likes to wear and what inspires her. As a blogger, Shkolnick challenges herself to write as much as she can, but as a designer, she also challenges herself to think outside the box.

“I put a lot of effort into my designs, and I take a lot of time,” Shkolnick said. “I don’t want to show bad work or bad quality, and I just think it’s going to hurt yourself if you don’t give it all you have.”

In addition to her experience at American fashion weeks, Shkolnick was able to attend London Fashion Week while studying abroad at the London College of Fashion during her junior year.

“It was the first time I’ve been to a fashion week where I haven’t had to work, and you can tell that the people are wearing (their outfits) because they like to dress that way, not because they like to be photographed,” Shkolnick said.

Indradevi Nuon, a fashion design major and one Shkolnick’s flatmates in London, said the two were excited and nervous to have the opportunity to study at the prestigious fashion school.

“Leah’s very sophisticated and classy, but with a touch of color, and also somewhat whimsical with her designs,” Nuon said. “She has a really strong work ethic, really passionate about fashion design, and I honestly can’t see her doing anything else outside of fashion.”

Ever since Shkolnick returned from London, she realized that the European culture had an influence on her personal style.

“I’ve noticed that I’ve worn more neutrals and paid more attention to small details such as pockets and zippers,” she said. “In London, what you see is a lot of knits and tailoring and black, navy, gray and ivory. I’m a big prints and colors person, but ever since I got back, I’ve been toning it down.

Shkolnick’s plans for after graduation involve moving to New York City, but her ultimate goal, she said, is to someday have a brand of her own. For now, she wants to be able to work and associate with other designers while she can.

“You just need to put all your knowledge and the ideas that you have out there for everyone,” Shkolnick said. “There’s nothing more rewarding than seeing your designs and seeing what you make become reality.”