Hillel inspired by past events to host 1st Matzo Ball formal

Hillel is redefining matzo balls this Saturday.

Two students, Lauren Petrocci, a junior economics major, and Sarah Schugel, an undeclared junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, are bringing the Matzo Ball, a formal event, to Syracuse through Syracuse University’s Hillel program.

“We were talking to an alumni and he had told us about how people had continuously tried to make this event happen,” said Schugel, a student intern at Hillel. “He jokingly said, ‘If you guys make this happen, I’ll come back to school for it.’ So we made it happen.”

Hillel’s first ever Matzo Ball formal will be held on Saturday from 9 p.m. to midnight. The event will start with a brief havdalah service. Havdalah is a prayer service held no earlier than sundown on Saturdays to mark the end of Shabbat, the day dedicated to relaxation and reflection on the past week. Then, the formal will commence, featuring photo booths, snacks, DJs and dancing.

Matzo Ball is a reflection of Hillel’s past. Brian Small, the executive director of Hillel, said Hillel held big social events years ago in Armory Square around Jewish holidays. Those events went out of fashion, he said, because Hillel didn’t want to promote student drinking on campus.

But once students heard about the events Hillel has held in the past, they wanted a piece of the action. And Small said he thinks that’s a good thing.

“This will be a formal for anyone,” Small said. “Greek life formals are more exclusionary, not by a fault of anyone, but just in nature. We wanted a formal where everyone from all walks of life in the university could all kind of come together and socialize.”

Small said the name was chosen because the event was originally planned to be held over Passover, the Jewish holiday in which matzo balls are most popular. He thought it was clever and appropriate for the attitude they wanted the event to exude.

Zach Goldberg, president of SU Hillel’s Jewish Student Union board, said that the event is solely meant to be a fun night and a way to open Hillel’s door to the campus.

“Really the main goal is bringing together the community on campus,” Goldberg said. “It’s the idea that Hillel will become a place that can be a stronger community for those that want to make it their home.”

Schugel, the student intern, hopes that the Matzo Ball will shine a new light on Hillel and the events it holds for both current and prospective members.

“I’m looking forward to just having a great night at Hillel and having a new image for Hillel,” Schugel said. “It’s more than just a place to come and pray. It’s so much more than that. I can’t wait to see everyone dress up in their cool, cute dresses and suits and just have a good time.”

In the Oct. 16 article, “Hillel inspired by past events to host 1st Matzo Ball formal,” that date of the formal was misstated. The formal was heldon Saturday. The Daily Orange regrets this error.