Office announces changes to housing lottery

Upperclassmen will have fewer on-campus housing options next year after changes were made to the housing lottery to accommodate the large incoming freshman and sophomore classes.

Students who have not already fulfilled their two-year on-campus housing requirement won’t be able to select single rooms during the housing lottery this spring. Options will also be more limited for upperclassmen that have already fulfilled the requirement, according to an announcement on Wednesday from Eileen Simmons, director of the Office of Housing, Meal Plan and I.D. Card Services.

The announcement, which was emailed to students and posted on the office’s website, listed the following options for students who still need to fulfill their housing requirement:

• Two- and four-person accommodations on North Campus (includes open/split doubles, two and four-person suites)
  • A designated number of two- and three-bedroom apartments on South Campus
  • Three-person accommodations on North Campus, with the exception of Washington Arms

For students who have already fulfilled the requirement, the following on-campus housing options will be available:

• A designated number of single rooms on North or South Campus
  • Three-person suites in Washington Arms
  • Four-bedroom apartments at University Village Apartments

In making the changes to the lottery, the university received input from a student survey conducted last April as well as from the Parents Office, the Office of Residence Life and the Retention Office, according to the announcement.

The Office of Housing, Meal Plan, and I.D. Card Services will hold town hall-style information sessions later this semester and early next spring to help students understand what options are available to them, according to the announcement.